right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

One bad SAT score

Gyester28Gyester28 0 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
I'm currently a junior. I took SAT on August and my scores are so, so bad. I did my practice tests and got 1580, if low, 1540 on them, but on the actual August test, I got a 1360. I feel so devastated right now. I'm going to study real hard again for October test. I'm really worried that even if I get a good grade, like 1550 on my October or my future SAT test, that this 1360 will affect me a lot.
For schools that require all SAT scores, would this score extremely impact my application? Also, can someone tell me if Stanford, Harvard, Yale, MIT, Princeton, Columbia, Cornell allow superscore, score choice, or all scores?
I also have all A's on my report card, and will that even matter since now I have a 1360 on my record?
How many times would be the recommend max times to take SAT?
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: One bad SAT score

• lookingforwardlookingforward 33603 replies369 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    You can look up whether they supercore, on their web sites. And you'd better consider learning, from them, what they do look for, beyond all A grades. It matters tremendously. Don't go into this under-informed.
    · Reply · Share
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls 5405 replies1 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    You should also keep in mind that all of "Stanford, Harvard, Yale, MIT, Princeton, Columbia, Cornell" are high reaches even for students with straight A's and 1550 on the SAT. However, you do not need to attend any of "Stanford, Harvard, Yale, MIT, Princeton, Columbia, Cornell" to do very well in life. I was a graduate student at one of these and the vast majority of other graduate students had attended far less famous schools for undergrad. Then I graduated, and spent my entire career working for bosses who had attended less famous schools, and working with excellent coworkers who had attended less famous but still very good schools.

Your strong grades in high school will be a huge help to get accepted to many of the large number of very good schools that are in the US.

Taking the SAT two or three times is perfectly normal. Try to get a good night's sleep before you take it next time. Also relax. No one is perfect. Most of us do very well in life anyway.
    · Reply · Share
  • SJ8218SJ8218 14 replies0 threadsRegistered User New Member
    The August 2019. SAT math curve was quite harsh. That alone shouldn't make a big difference between SAT composite score taken at different test dates. Since this was your first official SAT, maybe you are not quite at the 1500's score yet. Since you are a Junior, I would hold of on taking another and focus on the PSAT first. If you are truly a 1500's scorer, you should do well on the PSAT and it counts for you this year.

As for top tier school super scoring, you can look up each of the school, they have their policy.
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 808 replies10 threadsRegistered User Member
    Gyester28 wrote: »
    ? Also, can someone tell me if Stanford, Harvard, Yale, MIT, Princeton, Columbia, Cornell allow superscore, score choice, or all scores?
    I suggest you learn how to search for admission policies for schools of interest. It will serve you better over the next 1.5 years than going to CC to ask someone to look something up for you every time you have a question.
    I also have all A's on my report card, and will that even matter since now I have a 1360 on my record?
    High School grades are typically the single most important factor in college admissions. Of course they matter.
    How many times would be the recommend max times to take SAT?
    Three won’t cause anyone to notice. Four might raise a few eyebrows. Five or more would raise red flags.

Since you’re a Junior, you may not want to rush immediately into another test. Study for/take the PSAT as a free trial run (as well as NMS qualifying) and take it again in November or later.

Import your results into Khan and use it to study the identified areas that impacted your score. A couple months invested in focused prep/study will be better than rushing into the next test date.
    · Reply · Share