right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Is a 60 point SAT increase good?

llamaintheroomllamaintheroom 8 replies6 threadsRegistered User New Member
I took the SAT for the school day in April (?) and got 1310. I just took it in August and got 1370. I had studied probably about 2 months in advance about 2-4 hours a week so I was expecting a higher increase. I honestly was just wanting a higher score for scholarships, I don't have a huge desire to go to ivy leagues or top colleges. Will colleges see me as a student who didn't study or is this a good enough increase that it will set me apart more?
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Is a 60 point SAT increase good?

• EmpireappleEmpireapple 1664 replies25 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    It all depends on your target schools. Check the average SAT scores of the schools you are interested in and see where you fall. I think your score is very good as is your increase. Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • am9799am9799 926 replies27 threadsRegistered User Member
    Colleges do not look at SAT the same way they look at gpa. For SAT they only look at the highest score, not at the work you put in to and the increase you got. They will only look at one number so for your case they ll focus on the 1370. For gpa they look at all your high school years and look at trends, improvements etc.
    · Reply · Share
  • inthegardeninthegarden 1114 replies23 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    If you are not targeting the extreme elites, a 1370 is a very solid score and (depending on GPA, ECs, essay, LORs) can open the door to some excellent schools.
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 808 replies10 threadsRegistered User Member
    Statistically, I believe 60 points is right at the average increase for SAT 2nd retake.

Schools just look at you results as data points. They aren’t going to try to infer anything about study habits, dedication, etc. it’s just a test result.
    · Reply · Share