right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

I scored painstakingly low on my 2nd SAT.

lavenderorcalavenderorca 2 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
The first time I took the SAT in June, I got an 1180. I was aiming for a 1200 so I was sort of content. The 2nd time around (August) I went in for SAT Prep every day at a tutoring center for almost a month. I thought I learned more and I was confident on it but not too confident that I would make careless mistakes. I was extremely ready and excited to take the test and I found that the test didn't go that bad at all. I was hoping for a 1250 this time. But .. I got an 1120. For me, that is crazy low and literally crushing. I don't know how this could have happened and I'm spending so much time just crying about it (not pity just sad). My mom was a big supporter for me and she is super excited to see my SAT score and she said this is the last one I can take. I don't know what to do anymore. I struggled with my grades the first 2 years of high school, but got all A's in my junior year. I'm a senior now and taking some harder classes and working hard to get good grades, but my GPA is not great (2.8). College was a way out for me since I live with an abusive father and a high SAT score could've balances my poor GPA, but now I don't even know how what why what even HAPPENED. How do i solve this and does anyone know what could've happened on this test??
12 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: I scored painstakingly low on my 2nd SAT.

• happy1happy1 22754 replies2239 threadsVerified Member Senior Member
    What you can do is move forward in a positive direction. Seek out a group of schools that fit your academic range (including GPA, course rigor, standardized tests), that appear affordable (use net price calculators),and that you would be happy to attend. Keep in mind that a growing number of schools are now test optional (you can google the list).
    · Reply · Share
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 2080 replies30 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Talk to your guidance counselor. Is it possible to get a fee waiver so you can take it again?

Are your parents willing and able to pay for college? Your living situation is untenable, but an 1180 SAT and 2.8 GPA is going to limit your changes for a ticket out via scholarship.
    · Reply · Share
  • lavenderorcalavenderorca 2 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Thank you :') I want to add that the field I am passionate about is Marine Science . I can't see myself doing anything else. Not all colleges offer that, and to study marine life many people have reccommended being near the coast, but there only so few schools that fit that niche that I can attend, and most of them have very high standards for getting in. :(
    · Reply · Share
  • inthegardeninthegarden 1081 replies22 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    What's your state?
    · Reply · Share
  • lavenderorcalavenderorca 2 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Virginia
    · Reply · Share
  • eh1234eh1234 1107 replies4 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Have you looked at Old Dominion? They offer Marine Biology, they are in-state and an 1180 isn't too far off their 75th percentile score of 1200 (so it would be above average). They also take students with GPAs below 3.0 (about 25%). .

I've been reading that this latest SAT had a harsh curve.
    · Reply · Share
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse 29210 replies57 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Awwe, honey, (not meant to be demeaning), it happens more times than you think. People do not always improve on these tests. That test score you get, has a range. You do not know if you happened to score at the top, mid or bottom of that range.

Without intense test prep, if you scored at the top of your range, with a bit of bad luck, a bad day, what happened to you is something that happens a lot.

I don’t like to be too discouraging on these boards so i don’t say anything to all these posters who have their test dates all set, planning to retake and do so much better on the next round. The fact of the matter, is that you can go down. Planning on a test score is a flight in fantasy whereas making plans for it going down is more crucial. You work with what you have and focus on that, instead of on increasing some already very low chances in the possibility the score goes up.

Great advice here. VA has some great in state options At all test levels.

Do let your GC know that your living situation has been difficult so perhaps that is mentioned in the LOR .

Good luck.
    · Reply · Share
  • inthegardeninthegarden 1081 replies22 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited September 7
    What is your parents' financial situation? What will they be willing and able to pay? Will you be eligible for need-based finanical aid?

There are schools that will take you...and the strong upward trend junior year will help, as well as a guidance counselor note explaining your home situation. Old Dominion might be a great option, as the above poster said.
    But please don't despair if you can't specifically get into a marine biology program. If you work hard and do well in college taking biology or possibly environmental science, you can specialize during internships and graduate school in marine biology.

Look into application deadline dates for colleges you are thinking of applying to...maybe you can apply to some after your first semester grades of senior year are in, and pull your GPA up bit. Another possibility (if you can find a safe and affordable place to live and a job that you like) is to take a gap year after senior year. If senior years grades continue the upward trend, your GPA would be a good bit higher by the end of the year.
    edited September 7
    · Reply · Share
  • taverngirltaverngirl 885 replies20 threadsRegistered User Member
    Look at University of Maine. You have a good chance of acceptance, and they have a whole school for marine sciences. With your current stats you'd even qualify for a $9000 scholarship.
    · Reply · Share
  • EmpireappleEmpireapple 1635 replies25 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    All good advice in the previous posts. I will just add that I once heard someone say in conversation, "there is a college for everyone" I thought that was a good way to look at the process. Don't worry, you will find your place. You have almost a 1200 on your first SAT....hold on to that. Everything will be ok. Believe in yourself and keep working hard.
    · Reply · Share
  • taverngirltaverngirl 885 replies20 threadsRegistered User Member
    Another thought... are you able to take the October ACT? Both my kids scored low on the SAT but did much better on the ACT. Worth a shot if you can swing it.
    · Reply · Share
  • NewTwinMomNewTwinMom 10 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
    You have gotten some great advice already, so not much to add. Know that you’re so much more than your scores and GPA. If you put heart into your application and let those other aspects of you shine through (yes, even your living situation can add more texture to your application), some AOs will see past that. This is coming from a habitual bad test-taker who chose not to let my scores define me. It’ll be ok. Breathe and push ahead. Best of luck to you!
    · Reply · Share