right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Average test scores

objetdartobjetdart 3 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
I have a sophomore, 3.6 GPA and 940 on SAT (baseline). I know she will have to work on raising her score. However, I have been running the numbers on safety schools and found several lower tier that would offer some merit aid for her stats. However, because of location (I live in South Jersey and the schools are in North Jersey) and the need for housing at those schools, I was surprised that she would do better net price wise attending the local university (Rowan, Rutgers-Camden or Stockton), which would NOT offer any merit aid, but she could commute and just pay tuition. I also have her enrolled in the High School Option Program at Rowan College of South Jersey, which provides a 65% discount (3 credit course = $189.00). She can possibly get her associates degree at the same time she graduates high school. Additionally, at her high school she will attend Camden County College in her senior year and earn about 24 to 30 credits. So, by the time she enrolls in a 4 year school, she will probably have to do 2-3 years to finish. I will encourage her to apply for local private scholarships and university foundation scholarships to bring the debt load down. So far, that’s my preliminary plan to get college paid for my average student with average stats.
8 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Average test scores

• SybyllaSybylla 3726 replies47 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Is that a real SAT? With no prep? As a soph? Or PSAT?
    · Reply · Share
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls 5405 replies1 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    "I was surprised that she would do better net price wise attending the local university (Rowan, Rutgers-Camden or Stockton), which would NOT offer any merit aid, but she could commute and just pay tuition."

This sounds very believable to me, and not a surprise at all.

We on average found that schools that were more expensive in many cases (not all) gave more merit based financial aid. This tended to reduce the differences between schools. However, the schools that started off less expensive tended to stay that way even after their smaller or non-existent aid was taken into account. We didn't have anything that was both academically reasonable and close enough to commute. If you do then that would of course save more money.

If your daughter did 940 on the SAT as a sophomore with no preparation, then another year+ of school plus some SAT preparation might help her improve her score significantly.
    · Reply · Share
  • NJWrestlingmomNJWrestlingmom 1185 replies2 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Rowan has implemented some great plans in south Jersey to save people a lot of money. Rowan housing is really nice - and really expensive! Keep in mind that at some of these NJ schools it's much cheaper off campus than on (once allowed to move of). My son moved off campus this year at Rowan and we're paying a 1/3 of the on-campus housing price. He gave up granite countertops and stainless steel appliances, but he'll survive!
    · Reply · Share
  • objetdartobjetdart 3 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Yes the actual SAT as a sophomore with no minimal prep. She did the Rowan STEAM Academy this past summer and they did maybe 2 or 3 chapters in one of those SAT prep books you can get from the bookstore. She didn't really prep on her own. I wanted to get a baseline to make some projections.
    · Reply · Share
    NJWrestlingmom, where/how do you find reasonable off campus housing by Rowan? What is the price range if you don't mind?
    · Reply · Share
  • SybyllaSybylla 3726 replies47 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Baseline cold tests especially taken early in a kid with no acceleration is just a bad idea (too late for you but not other readers). "Baseline", "cold" tests, etc, these can be done at home with a paper from the GCs office/SAT book etc and a clock.
    An official on record unprepared SAT offers no advantage other than creating stress when the score is low.
    · Reply · Share
  • NJWrestlingmomNJWrestlingmom 1185 replies2 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @objetdart Rowan has a section on their website that’s a good starting point. I happen to be an alum from the Glassboro days so we know the area. There are many homes available, as well as apartments in The Crossings, Beau Rivage and Campus Terrace. S17 has a 2br 1ba with 1 other boy. We’re paying just under $500/month in rent plus utilities, which are just electric and WiFi.
    · Reply · Share
    @NJWrestlingmom, Thanks I will keep that in mind when the time comes.
    · Reply · Share