right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

What act test to submit

studentsmomstudentsmom 41 replies10 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
My daughter took the act test twice and got 28 on second with 7 in writing and on the first got a 27 with an 8 in writing.
Also Colorado College is her reach school which she will apply early decision. Any chance?
edited October 7
11 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: What act test to submit

• Techno13Techno13 175 replies7 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    You haven't provided much info for anyone to guess her chances. 28 is very low for CC, but maybe she has other items in her application that would compensate? If not, ED will not likely increase her chances.
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 2236 replies30 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited October 7
    Colorado College is test optional starting this year.

I don't know enough about your D's application to make a recommendation, but the 28 is below the 25%ile per the 2018/19 CDS (mid 50%=29-33). Typically a not-insignificant proportion of students below the 25%ile are hooked in some manner such as legacy, URM, low SES, athlete, etc......is your D hooked in any manner? https://www.coloradocollege.edu/offices/ipe/common-data-set.html

edited October 7
    · Reply · Share
  • studentsmomstudentsmom 41 replies10 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    not hooked.
    · Reply · Share
    not hooked.

Then you will have to make the call based on the strength of the rest of the application....GPA, rigor, number of core courses, AP test scores, ECs, essays, etc.

With 2 tests taken, does she have a superscore higher than 28?

What does your D's HS guidance counselor recommend?
    · Reply · Share
    dont know how to figure out super score.
    · Reply · Share
    Look at each of her 4 section scores from all her tests (Math, Reading, English, Science). Take the highest score from each of the 4 sections, add them up, and divide by 4. If you post her section scores, posters can help.
    · Reply · Share
    edited October 9
    she had a 27 on one 28 on other and doing that gave her a 28.25 (which would be about 1330 on SAT from what I google) Reading was 8 on the 27 and 7 on the 28
    This is better than her SAT which was 1230 so I think she should not send SAT scores.
    Now I'm worried that she applied ED to Colorado college as her Junior grades were not the best and they wont see her senior first semester (3 AP) and better grades. Maybe she should take her current grades to her on campus interview, which will be her "edge" to maybe get considered. This is her reach school but she really wants to give it a try!
    edited October 9
    · Reply · Share
    edited October 9
    Reading was 8 on the 27 and 7 on the 28

Those are essay scores which are not relevant, her reading score would be on the same scale as other sections (up to 36).

Has she already applied and sent/reported the ACT scores? I ask because perhaps she should apply test optional, again, we don't have enough info to know. What does her GC recommend?

Yes, if she has good mid-term grades she should communicate those in her interview. Her GC can also send the mid-term grades to admissions.

Good luck.

edited October 9
    · Reply · Share
    her reading score was a 36 on act. Scores have NOT been sent. Deciding if we should send both so they can superscore, which I guess yes. Oh good idea that GC can send grades. They are not the best staying on top of the kids. So you are saying take ACT ne more time? Sadly the next test is OCT 25 and thats when she interviews at the college. A dec test would be too late for ED I assume.
    · Reply · Share
    edited October 9
    So you are saying take ACT ne more time?

No! I am saying your D should consider applying test optional....CC does not require ANY standardized test scores from applicants starting with this admission season. https://www.coloradocollege.edu/admission/application/testing/admission-test-optional.html Note that CC superscores the SAT but not ACT, so superscore is irrelevant.

Her 28 composite is below the 25%ile of last year's class (mid-50%ile was 29-33)....most of the students below the 25%ile will be hooked in some way, so her test scores may be weakening her application. (again we don't know any thing else about her application, like uwGPA, rigor, essays, etc. so no one here can help you make that determination)

Lastly, based on a reading score of 36 it sounds like there is variability in her section scores as well....again, less than ideal. What are her lowest section scores?
    edited October 9
    · Reply · Share
  • dixiechicktxdixiechicktx 80 replies1 threadsRegistered User Junior Member
    you shouldn't get a superscore with a decimal. Take each section and look at the score for that section . Here is a link: https://www.act.org/content/act/en/students-and-parents/college-planning-articles/how-to-calculate-your-act-superscore.html

I agree with the previous poster about applying test-optional. Good luck.
    · Reply · Share