right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Should I retake a 790 on Math Level 2 for T20s?

lazarchesterlazarchester 1 replies1 threads New Member
I earned an 790 on Math Level 2 Subject Test and I'm going for top 20 schools. Should I retake? Will I be at a disadvantage?
edited October 29
10 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Should I retake a 790 on Math Level 2 for T20s?

• cypresspatcypresspat 395 replies9 threads Member
  • joecollege44joecollege44 151 replies10 threads Junior Member
    this is a kind of a crazy question. what is this world coming to?
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 7636 replies61 threads Senior Member
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 34547 replies383 threads Senior Member
    Lol, Joe. If OP really knew the T20 schools, he or she would be working on the rest of what matters. That's what can keep you out, not 10 more points on a test, when you're well past that bar.
    · Reply · Share
  • brantlybrantly 3970 replies69 threads Senior Member
    Are you serious?

You are at a disadvantage that you think this matters and don't really know what's important to T20 schools.
    · Reply · Share
  • tgl2023tgl2023 165 replies4 threads Junior Member
    Lazarchseter's concern is legitimate, as he (I assume) is aware of the 790 being the 78th percentile, or 22 percent of the test takers had scored higher, which appears to some applicants as "inadequate", for not being in the top 5%.
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 1149 replies16 threads Senior Member
    Some folks seem to think that a raw score is the most important thing. It’s not. An applicant is compared to other applicants. 790 is 79th percentile. While a different animal, 79th percentile on the Math SAT is 620. Is 620 and 800 close enough, that someone should be mocked for wanting to retake a 620?

OP, what majors and schools are you looking at? If STEM at MIT, Caltech, Harvey Mudd, and maybe one or two others, I’d say it may be worth another shot if you think an 800 is realistic. When there are thousands of Math2 800s, a 790 is different. At most other schools it’s fine.
    · Reply · Share
  • AlwaysMovingAlwaysMoving 199 replies1 threads Junior Member
    If you're applying to MIT or CalTech, definitely retake.

If you're applying to a math focused STEM major, I'd retake.

Everything else, definitely move on.
    · Reply · Share
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 4465 replies18 threads Senior Member
    I would think there are better things to do with your time. Like nail the application and essays.
    · Reply · Share