right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Should I retake the ACT?

annacfannacf 1 replies3 threads New Member
So I have been debating on whether or not to retake my ACT for a bit but I'm not sure what to do. My ACT score is a 32 but my top schools are Vanderbilt, Georgetown, Barnard, etc. and since my score is on the lower end of those ranges, I want to retake it but not sure if it is worth the hassle+money... thoughts?
7 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Should I retake the ACT?

• Cake360Cake360 10 replies0 threads New Member
    I think you should retake ACT.

Georgetown requires 3 Subject Tests. Please prepare for those tests too.
    · Reply · Share
  • HalfMoon22HalfMoon22 60 replies2 threads Junior Member
    I would try to get your score up. Georgetown now accepts AP scores in lieu of SAT Subject scores.
    · Reply · Share
  • tgl2023tgl2023 165 replies4 threads Junior Member
    What were the roadblocks for you in the last ACT? Did you run out of time? Did you not know the material? I assume that you would be taking the test in December if you decide to retake, and if so, I suggest that you practice a few times with physical copies of the test in a quiet room (library or school, not at home) and time yourself to help with performing optimally under almost real test condition.
    · Reply · Share
  • joecollege44joecollege44 151 replies10 threads Junior Member
    edited November 8
    for those types of schools, yeah, you need to bring it up. especially Vandy.

edited November 8
    · Reply · Share
  • Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 2462 replies36 threads Senior Member
    It’s difficult to make a recommendation like this in a vacuum....we don’t know the relative strength of the rest of your app....gpa, rigor, essays, ECs, LORs.

What year are you? If a junior you might retake.

Are you URM and/or first gen? If yes, maybe no need to retake, depending on the rest of your app.

If a senior, have you been test prepping for December test? If not, it may be difficult to get a higher score......focus on getting good semester grades and completing your apps.

Make sure to have target/match schools on your list as well as an affordable safety that you would be happy to attend.

Good luck.
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 1149 replies16 threads Senior Member
    Yes, hard to provide advice without more info.

If your question is “these are my target schools, is my ACT good enough or should I take it again”, the yes, being at the low end of the ranges isn’t ideal.

If you’ve studied for months, taken a bunch of practice tests, and received a score much higher than you expected based on those, then maybe not.
    · Reply · Share
  • BookLvrBookLvr 167 replies4 threads Junior Member
    According to Barnard, a 32 is their mean ACT score:
    https://barnard.edu/first-year-class-profile

Also, according to the ACT, that score is 97th percentile nationally.

So while sure, it would be nice to have a 33 or 34, I think you are competitive with a 32. It's not a sure thing, but admission at super selective schools is not a sure thing for ANYBODY. Make sure the rest of your application is as strong as it can be and take your shot!
    · Reply · Share