right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Many schools have delayed their deadlines for enrollment due to COVID-19. Check out our exclusive directory of extended deadlines we know about right now.
STUDENT GUEST OF THE WEEK: Ethan is a burgeoning tech enthusiast who got accepted into Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Duke, Brown. This week he's answering your questions on how to best craft your application and narrow down your college search/decision process. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Learn from Amy Nelson from International Scholarship and Tuition Services and Denise Trusty from Morehead State how to pay for college amid COVID-19 economic changes. Join us tomorrow at 5pm ET. Register and ask your question NOW.

SSAT prep book recommendations

I really want to go to a private school, but my SSAT score on verbal section is not good enough in order to apply for the school. Does anyone have some recommendation for the useful SSAT prep books? OR some ideas about increase vocabulary in 2 month? Thx
7 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: SSAT prep book recommendations

• hyh789hyh789 16 replies0 threads Junior Member
    Try Khan Academy
    · Reply · Share
  • petrich0rpetrich0r 46 replies1 threads Junior Member
    @Skywalker32 Just saw this thread! I have a great list of words I studied that I can post here. Really carried me through the verbal SSAT part. I’m wondering when you are taking the test, and if you’d like me to list the words. It’s fairly long, but I think it can memorized be in 2-3 days...
    · Reply · Share
  • Ramya78Ramya78 13 replies3 threads Junior Member
    @petrich0r - Can you post the list here? My DS is also planning to take the SSAT this summer. Thanks
    · Reply · Share
  • spano30spano30 12 replies0 threads New Member
    @Skywalker32 Here is a link to about 2000 common SSAT words:

https://quizlet.com/pasquale_spano/folders/ssat?x=1xqt&i=m4pqr

They are organized in order of importance, meaning you start with the "NEED TO KNOW" lists 1-5, then move to the "SHOULD KNOW" lists 1-4, and then you can finish with the "GOOD TO KNOW" list. I suggest studying them for a little bit each day using the "Learn" option on Quizlet, with the definition of the word being presented as the question and the answer choices being possible words.

Let me know if you have any questions and best of luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • Ramya78Ramya78 13 replies3 threads Junior Member
    Thank you @spano30 for the words. Do you recommend any specific books that would help to prepare for SSAT? DS has been using Barron's 2019 SSAT/ISEE book.
    · Reply · Share
  • spano30spano30 12 replies0 threads New Member
    No problem @Ramya78 ! I think that is a good starting point. Honestly, I would recommend purchasing the online SSAT Practice Tests available on the test-maker's website (https://ssat.org/practice). If you purchase the full package, you get access to 4 full-length tests, as well as to several practice sections (Verbal, Reading, and Quantitative). Your purchase also includes videos and worksheets to cover some of the topics from the test.

Books that are out there are not bad at covering the basics, however since they are third-party material, the questions on their practice tests are always slightly different than the ones you'll see on test day.
    · Reply · Share
  • BeauBeanBeauBean 4 replies0 threads New Member
    Yep, I agree about online-tests with spano30. But if you want to try to use books, I recommend Khan Academy and College panda SAT writing advanced.
    · Reply · Share