right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Retake SAT 1530?

bnjc43bnjc43 1 replies1 threads New Member
My DD is a junior who scored a 1530 (760 ERW/770 Math). Should DD retake it? DD is interested in Brown, Dartmouth, Georgetown and Hopkins. DD has a 4.1 GPA, is taking all APs as a junior, and ok ECs. We are a full pay family.
7 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Retake SAT 1530?

• izrk02izrk02 411 replies16 threads Member
    No. 1530 is more than enough for those schools. You should be more worried about the gpa and lack of outstanding ECs. Those schools are all reaches for anyone not hooked, no matter stats.
    · Reply · Share
  • bnjc43bnjc43 1 replies1 threads New Member
    Thank you!
    · Reply · Share
  • tdy123tdy123 1001 replies18 threads Senior Member
    edited January 10
    Brown used to publish on their Admission Facts page a breakdown of admission rate by standardized test scores. Dartmouth and a few other schools including Princeton used to publish similar data.

The old pages seem to have vanished from the internet, and the colleges no longer publicly divulge that sort of data.

An old thread on CC referring to the data is here https://talk.collegeconfidential.com/parents-forum/1690095-college-admission-facts-opinions-and-myths-p1.html

References to the data in the thread suggest that the closer you get to a perfect score, the higher your odds of admission, even compared to scores otherwise considered excellent.

My personal feeling is that - all other things being equal - the odds of admissions at most highly selective schools is better with a > 75th percentile score as compared to a < 75th percentile score.

Current Brown 75th percentile score is a 1550.
    edited January 10
    · Reply · Share
  • whidbeyite2002whidbeyite2002 203 replies1 threads Junior Member
    I say no. Brown’s application essays and your daughter’s Common App personal essay are much more important.
    · Reply · Share
  • TiggerDadTiggerDad 2040 replies73 threads Senior Member
    It depends on the applicant's other qualities. SAT and GPA scores by themselves aren't reliable predictors for those colleges with holistic admissions policy practices. It could also depend on whether the applicant is planning on applying ED to any of the schools mentioned except Georgetown.
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 1612 replies25 threads Senior Member
    tdy123 wrote: »
    References to the data in the thread suggest that the closer you get to a perfect score, the higher your odds of admission, even compared to scores otherwise considered excellent.

This is true in general, but the incremental benefit gets smaller and smaller as you get higher in the range. 1560-1600 are going to be nearly identical at almost any school. Above the 75th percentile, efforts to improve a score are usually better applied to other parts of an application - time is a limited commodity and prepping for SAT isn’t free.

Brown is the only school on the list where a higher score may be beneficial, but I’d still recommend investing time elsewhere.

(Unless there’s published data that I and Google can’t find, 1550 is the sum of Brown’s two SAT score 75th percentiles. The 75th percentile of the combined score is likely at least 10 points lower.)
    · Reply · Share
  • humanbeing120humanbeing120 15 replies0 threads Junior Member
    I think you can retake it. Maybe you get a higher score or you can superscore.
    · Reply · Share