right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Join us for a LIVE webinar Friday, April 3 at 3pm ET to hear from admission officers on how COVID-19 is impacting admissions at schools. REGISTER NOW and let us know what questions you have and want answered.
As schools continue to announce their decisions, we put together the Class of 2024 RD Discussions Directory. Connect with fellow applicants NOW!

Changes to test optical due to COVID-19

dadof4kidsdadof4kids 810 replies79 threads Member
I didn’t see if this was announced elsewhere so apologies if I am repeating, but D21 just got an email from CWRU that for her class only they were going test optional. I’m wondering if any other schools have made a similar announcement.
4 replies
Tagged:
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Changes to test optical due to COVID-19

• Mwfan1921Mwfan1921 3764 replies69 threads Senior Member
    edited March 18
    Oregon State has, but they had signalled they were going to go TO prior to Covid-19 and made it official the other day.

Some schools could also choose just to temporarily go TO for next year. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out.
    edited March 18
    · Reply · Share
  • StPaulDadStPaulDad 545 replies2 threads Member
    Even if they give the tests it's not going to be the same. If you look at the announcement about the AP Subject tests from today it appears students will be taking them remotely, on just about any device they can find (eg "Taking a photo of handwritten work will also be an option") which leaves zero room for technological oversight. Let me introduce Lori Laughlin, parent, prisoner, proctor. Yikes.
    · Reply · Share
  • dadof4kidsdadof4kids 810 replies79 threads Member
    That sounds like a trainwreck. Hopefully they don't grade on a scale, because if they do then D has to compete against professor google.

I don't think there is a better way to do this, btw. But I know when I take some licensing exams for work, I at least have to get a proctor with no financial incentive in me passing my CE to say they proctored my exam. Honestly I doubt many of those "proctors" even know or care what they are doing, but I have to jump through a hoop at least. When D takes an AP exam I have a bigger financial incentive for her to get a 5 than she does!
    · Reply · Share
  • dadof4kidsdadof4kids 810 replies79 threads Member
    edited March 20
    Also I think D is going to be hurt by this. She should be able to throw up a high ACT score, but will need to take it after studying which she hasn't done yet. Even if that happens, it will probably be in the fall which is late to get figured out what we will do.

My bigger concern is her class rank. I know many schools don't rank, but ours does and her HS is pretty much an unknown for most selective colleges. So it gives a bit of context to what her grades mean. Her schedule is way overweighted this semester with weighted classes. If she just gets a "P" her rank drops, because she loses the weighted class grade that her classmates got in the fall.

Just another thing to worry about. When I'm not worrying about the huge income drop I'm staring at right now if things don't improve substantially in the next couple of months.
    edited March 20
    · Reply · Share