right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

why is SAT easier in america in comparison to UK A levels

ca18012ca18012 1 replies1 threads New Member
I'm from the UK and I've just realised how different tests are in each country. SATs are multiple choice in the US, while in the UK A level (determines university acceptance) are not (but some have small sections).
I want to know your thoughts on this, and why not even view the papers:

here is where you can find the A level maths papers (there are 3 maths papers to complete the course): https://mathsmadeeasy.co.uk/a-level-maths-revision/edexcel-past-papers/

and A level chemistry: https://revisionscience.com/a2-level-level-revision/chemistry-level-revision/chemistry-level-past-papers/ocr-level-chemistry-past-papers
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: why is SAT easier in america in comparison to UK A levels

• ca18012ca18012 1 replies1 threads New Member
    P.S. dont hurt me, I just want to hear your opinion on this if youve check the papers out!
    · Reply · Share
  • CollegeMamb0CollegeMamb0 96 replies1 threads Junior Member
    You are not comparing like to like. Advanced Placement tests (APs) are the closest to A Levels, although I would agree that these are not at the same level. This is because of the different school systems: in the UK you study depth over breadth - 3-4 A levels in depth over 2 years. American students can take many APs, some of which are harder than others, but often have up to 12 (or more!) throughout the course of 4 years of High School. An AP course can last a semester, not 2 years. Neither is wrong, because they are feeding into different college systems, where that breadth continues for the first couple of years of degree level work in the US.
    · Reply · Share