right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Should I retake the SAT to improve my Essay score

lt2298lt2298 0 replies1 threads New Member
I took the SAT with Essay this March right before schools closed. I ended up getting a 1550 (750 RW, 800 M) composite score and a 16 (5/4/7) on the essay. In May I took the AP LANG test and got a 5. I am happy with my SAT composite score and my AP LANG score, but I am worried about how my essay score will look on my applications. Should I retake the SAT with essay this fall? Should I focus on studying for SAT Subject Tests? Or should I forget about standardized tests and focus on other aspects of my application?
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Should I retake the SAT to improve my Essay score

• LindagafLindagaf 11009 replies593 threads Super Moderator
    edited July 30
    Your last sentence is your best choice. Given all the upheaval right now, I would absolutely not recommend you retake just for the essay score. Hardly any colleges care about it, it will not make or break anything, and it’s an okay essay score. I think most colleges will be quite lenient about it now anyway.
    edited July 30
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 2492 replies42 threads Senior Member
    How many colleges that you're applying to require the essay? The list is very short, outside of CA state schools.

I wouldn't bother unless there's a very specific need that I can't think of.

Subject Tests are similar.
    · Reply · Share