right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Want to know how a college REALLY decides who gets in? Jeff Selingo author of "Who Gets In and Why: A Year Inside College Admissions" spills the tea in our forums and will be answering your questions. Get yours answered now!
Get all the info you need to know to complete the FAFSA during our LIVE webinar Thursday, Sept 24, at 7pm ET. Hear from financial aid experts on deadlines, what documents you will need, and how your info will be used to calculate aid. REGISTER NOW and share your questions.
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

Should I take my SAT in a different state (due to Covid)?

kathlitkathlit 7 replies4 threads New Member
I am a rising high school senior (in MA) and my August SAT was just canceled. I currently don't have any test scores (I was planning on taking my first SAT in March but then that got cancelled) but I rescheduled to take the SAT in September.

I feel like there's a good chance my September SAT will be canceled as well, and I'm starting to panic about how I don't have any test scores (I also signed up for the ACT in October but I don't know if that will be cancelled as well). I want to have as many chances as possible to take the SAT so I am considering rescheduling my August SAT to a different location.

The closest test center to me that is still open is in New York and it is about a 4 hour drive. I could drive myself there, but I am not sure if I really want to commit to that.

Any advice to what I should do?

(Also, I have good scores on all my AP tests this year and a good Chemsitry subject test score)
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Should I take my SAT in a different state (due to Covid)?

• idmithamidmitham 12 replies5 threads Junior Member
    Oh no. Which center? did it cancelled today?
    · Reply · Share
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 3700 replies89 threads Senior Member
    I heard reports of additional test centers opening. No guarantees. You could sign up with the hope of switching - or keep checking.

Check the colleges to which you are applying. Chances are they have gone test optional, in which case I would keep checking and forget about the stress of a four hour drive.
    · Reply · Share
  • CheddarcheeseMNCheddarcheeseMN 3759 replies14 threads Senior Member
    I would keep looking at the College Board list of SAT openings to see if any open up. If you do travel anywhere, email the principal of the school in advance to see if the test will be held, as sometimes the College Board doesn't always notify students until they show up and see a note on the door.
    · Reply · Share
  • kathlitkathlit 7 replies4 threads New Member
    @idmitham mine was in western MA and it got cancelled last night :(
    · Reply · Share
  • kathlitkathlit 7 replies4 threads New Member
    @Groundwork2022 All the colleges I'm looking at are test optional but I'd still love to take the test if I can. Thanks so much for your advice, I think I'll just wait til the September test- I'm really not up for a 4 hour drive.
    · Reply · Share