Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

The "oh no," my exams is on october 6th" thread(TIPS AND ADVICE)

Replies to: The "oh no," my exams is on october 6th" thread(TIPS AND ADVICE)

• harvard44harvard44 Registered User Posts: 278 Junior Member
    I have a really bad cold, and my exam is tomorrow.. If i keep sneezing and blowing my nose during the exam, people will probably beat me up after the exam, right? What should i do..
  • jadore_isabellajadore_isabella Registered User Posts: 614 Member
    harvard, don't worry, i was sick during the january and i even got a cold this week haha. you should go to a drugstore and buy this stuff called like "emergency-c." the product sounds kind of corny, but if you take it at least twice like your cold will seriously go away. i was like a wreck on monday but now i'm fine, and then the other test takers won't kill you during testing! :)
  • JKJKJK09JKJKJK09 Registered User Posts: 98 Junior Member
    when exams approach i used to ALWAYS get a cold or some irritation of the sort.

i consulted many docs...the reason is tht during exams because the pressure and stress is really high and rest is near to nothing, students tend to catch a cold. they often dont clear their noses also.

i have sinus which is the most irksome ominous craftwork of satan... so i know how it is to get a cold at the wrong place and at the wrong time.

my advice is to get prescribed meds and also just relax. take a nap, imo the best cure. and of course the most important thing- do NOT having anything cold and stay away from oily greasy foods. also avoid chocolate...you know...if u can.
    okay some ppl pm'ed me asking me to elaborate on the pssages nd assist with with their utter irritation with passages. so here goes:

-deceptive language: answers which look really attractive,smart but is not suitable for the passage. these answers lure you be giving sophisticated nd logical points. but you need points which are mentioned in the passage even if they are not attractive,smart,logical,etc

-half-right, half-wrong answers: gives information in the answer which is correct but at the same time gives unnecessary information which is not mentioned at all.

-extreme language( eg- the greatest of all, the one and only) the answer is some what the author says in the passage but it overexaggerates the authors point.

-opposite of wat is mentioned in the passage. : easy to spot. just eliminate what is opposite.

-not mentioned at all in the passage: the answer says something that sounds appealing and right, but hasn't been said by the author anywhere. these type of answers are very attractive and should be paid special attention to. these answers will be close to what is mentioned in the passage, but is in fact wrong nd should be eliminated

-too specific or too general. (especially in questions of generalizing, summarizing) in case when the question asks to state a general opinion of the passage or paragraph,etc some answers will be too specific(they will say something that is only mentioned once or twice in the passage; or something not mentioned at all. ) the answer should be broad nd cover a wider scope.

these are the magic six to crack open the passages nd crush them living hell out of them...nd yeah they asked for it bad ...real bad.
  • llpitchllpitch Registered User Posts: 4,318 Senior Member
    Is it really too much work to type an "a" in front of nd?
  • tokenadulttokenadult Registered User Posts: 17,471 Senior Member
    How well do people score on the writing section if they write in IM abbreviations?
  • wjddbsdl89wjddbsdl89 Registered User Posts: 128 Junior Member
    LOL I am extremely nervous right now.

I got to get 2100+!!!! GL to me and to everyone of U!!!!!!
  • thepack88thepack88 - Posts: 214 Junior Member
    For 2 section Readings, read the first section, do the first section questions. read the second passage, do the second passage questions. then do the ones on both passages.

=] thanks barron's
  • GDOGGDOG Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Hey, hello,,can you tell what is the essay topic?thanks a lot!!appreciated!!
  • llpitchllpitch Registered User Posts: 4,318 Senior Member
    For 2 section Readings, read the first section, do the first section questions. read the second passage, do the second passage questions. then do the ones on both passages.

=] thanks barron's

Some stuff like that is blatantly obvious tbh. That's how I did those sections before I read Barron's. Why would you read both section and then do section 1 questions lol? It just doesn't make sense.
  • Grog2662gGrog2662g Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    I used to read the questions first, then the passage...

I stopped doing that, and started reading the passages in their entirety first, then going onto the questions and referring back. My verbal score increased considerably, almost 100 points.
  • tokenadulttokenadult Registered User Posts: 17,471 Senior Member
    I read the passages first from the beginning, and never had a low score.
    http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/index.html

chk it out for the plot overviews of the novels. very helpful in essays.
  • andreaaaaaaandreaaaaaa Registered User Posts: 7,930 Senior Member
    I read the passages first from the beginning, and never had a low score.

me too. i never run out of time on cr.

before i read the passage, i underline the passage lines where questions are asked, for all the questions that involve a line number, like "in line x, ____ most nearly means". but i leave questions about the main idea and stuff like that until after i read the passage.

=] thanks barron's

Some stuff like that is blatantly obvious tbh. That's how I did those sections before I read Barron's. Why would you read both section and then do section 1 questions lol? It just doesn't make sense.

yeah, i have always done that also.
  • blubberxyzblubberxyz Registered User Posts: 271 Junior Member
    I agree with reading the passages straight through... it's easier, at least for me, since you don't interrupted and devote your full attention vs. the lined portions taking away your attention.
This discussion has been closed.