Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

The "oh no," my exams is on october 6th" thread(TIPS AND ADVICE)

JKJKJK09JKJKJK09 Registered User Posts: 98 Junior Member
im working on my passages and writing(except essay) day and night. nd hav done barrons,princetons,kaplans and 11 practice test of pricetons(book) nd yeah did i mention collegeboard.
few wise lessons from my experience:

for the passages keep in mind 2 avoid the following & use POE :
-deceptive language
-half-right, half-wrong answers
-extreme language( eg- the greatest of all, the one and only)
-opposite of wat is mentioned in the passage.
-not mentioned at all in the passage
-too specific or too general. (especially in questions of generalizing, summarizing)

the above are the keys for cracking the passages all the way, unfortunately for me i realized it a week before the exams.

i havnt practiced for the ESSAY AT ALL, im just using the stratergy from :
http://www.freesatessayprep.com/

my vocabs in a safe place. if urs isnt nd u havnt done nyting, then postpone ur date 2 november 3 NOW! cause the CR sections breathes words u never heard of.

im currently going through all the math sections of the practice tests.
i have jotted down points(how 2 solve,etc) for tackling all the hard questions of the math sections i hav encountered in the practice tests. i can scan my notebook if u ppl are desperate.

my score is currently 1800+ but im confident to raise to a 2100+ in ....5days!! how? spend 15hrs of each of the coming to days identifying my weaknesses and working on them. its a Clich
Post edited by JKJKJK09 on

Replies to: The "oh no," my exams is on october 6th" thread(TIPS AND ADVICE)

• harvard44harvard44 Registered User Posts: 278 Junior Member
    For the critical reading part, do you look at the questions first and then read the passage? or the other way around?
  • aisgzdavinciaisgzdavinci Registered User Posts: 1,997 Senior Member
    questions first
  • al6200al6200 Registered User Posts: 1,579 Senior Member
    I got a 720 so my strategy is probably good - but not perfect - so here it goes:

1. Read the passage and understand what's going on
    2. Go through each question, referring back to the passage for details

Going to the questions first doesn't make sense to me. How will you know what the questions are even talking about if you haven't read the passage? Also, some questions test that you understand the main idea of the passage, and all of the wrong answers are probably geared to people who don't actually read the passage.
  • JKJKJK09JKJKJK09 Registered User Posts: 98 Junior Member
    NO, reading the the passage first is harmful in so many cases and also in mine(iv tested it) so, i wud advice u no to.
    1.)read the blurb(italic font lines bfore the pssage).
    2.)go 2 the questions; answer the specific questions(usually line reference ones) and then go on to the general questions(vague idea of the passage,etc)

NOW,After reading the blurb,and you're ready to answer the specific questions. For the 1st specific question start reading from the start of the passage and then land up to the line u need, after reaching your line u can now obviously answr the question. now continue reading the passage from where u stopped to answer the nxt question. this is my "style". therefore you'll read the whole passage much faster(sumwhat) and the probability of getting all answers on the passage increases.

also dont try to understand(or stress) sumthing on the passage which u dint even understand after reading the line 1 or 2 times carefully.u might find that there a much simpler line ahead which connects things much clearly.

when they say pay attention and read, it does not mean u have to read and understand each and every word...go as fast as u can...but make sure u are understand wat the lines mean(even a vague idea will do). BUT READ THE LINE INFERENCE LINE CAREFULLY, IMBIBE IT!

and if u stick to the 6 points which i mentioned at the start...ull soon reach ur goal.
    another good essay link:
    http://www.tightflash.com/student_section/

he has lotta sections, but the essay part is quite unique(especially how to start ur conclusion-choice of words,etc-)

i wud advice not to spend too much time on the essay now, just familiarize ur self wit a stratergy.
  • tokenadulttokenadult Registered User Posts: 17,471 Senior Member
    I read the whole passage back when I was in high school. Verbal score was 800. I think today the questions are even more designed to reward students who know what the passage means (from having read it) before they consider the questions than it used to be.
  • cjennycjenny Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    how do you divide your time when doing the reading section?
    oh I always don't have time to finish passage reading and the questions...
    sometimes going back and forth between passages and questions really makes me confused..
    what's worse..sometimes I feel that I must do all the sentence completion questions..b/c I've already get down to two choices left but have no idea which one to choose...
    i if u want to score well on the critical reading u MUST have an extensive vocab.
    i personally have done:
    princeton review list
    Barron's high frequency word list
    kaplans word list
    sparknotes word list.

if u have a powerful vocab. an important task is covered on the SAT. plus this vocab will definetly help u in college.

because my vocab. is strong i hardly spend 2-3minutes on 5-8 questions of sentence completion. this speed seriously builds the confidence and gives u extra time to spend on the passages
  • SubMachineNipsSubMachineNips Registered User Posts: 599 Member
    read (or skim if you are a slow reader) to get the main idea/tone and all of that first.
  • andreaaaaaaandreaaaaaa Registered User Posts: 7,930 Senior Member
    My Organizer:
    "Your Oct 6 SAT is 5 day(s) away."

ugh, thats painful to read.
  • drnoeyedeadrnoeyedea Registered User Posts: 466 Member
    My Organizer:
    "Your Oct 6 SAT is 4 day(s) away."

ugh, thats even more painful(er) to read. :)

670 needs to go up to 720.
    My diary:
    The source of my life at the moment is the caffeine tablet I took yesterday.

I had three hours of sleep last night.
    I went over some CR questions instead of having a good night sleep. Although i'm totally exhausted doing all this last min studying, i am very proud of myself. I had a great deal of improvement over last few days!
    I get only 2~3 Qs wrong per in CR section now(sadly excluding the vocab part..damng). oh god, I have to go to school now. I will probably be daydreaming the whole day. poor me..
    oh by the way, thank you for your advice on passage realding, people! i figured out looking at the Qs, before reading the passage works better for me. That way I can guess the answers while im reading it, and dont get confused by all the tricks they ues for the answer choices.
  • FellowCCViewerFellowCCViewer Registered User Posts: 3,777 Senior Member
    Wow, such nice people here.
  • proud08erproud08er Registered User Posts: 213 Junior Member
    hehe come on guys cheer up! only four more days till we can finally put our practice to fruition! be confident with all the hard prep that you have (hopefully) done. and besides, being tense/pessimistic will almost always hurt your scores so r e l a x. oh yeah. get sleep too, it will be one heck of a marathon, but i find that taking it one section at a time helps a lot! good luck to you all!
This discussion has been closed.