Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Writing Questions (looking for some help)

CrazyPlutoCrazyPluto Registered User Posts: 573 Member
edited June 2011 in SAT Preparation

When do plural subjects necessitate plural objects?

Throughout the season the coach would often remind us that the best teammates are not those who strive to set individual records but those who fit in as [a member] of a cohesive unit.

The segmented portion is obviously wrong. But I was wondering, is THIS wrong as well?

Throughout the season the coach would often remind us that the best teammates are not those who strive to set [an individual record] but those...

The acoustics of the ancient Greek theater at Epidaurus are so good that an actor's words, even when whispered, are [auditory] to those sitting in the last row

The segmented portion is wrong, and should be "audible"

What is the exact error? I only got it by ear. I'm confused at what form "auditory" and "audible" are.
Post edited by CrazyPluto on

Replies to: Writing Questions (looking for some help)

• crazybanditcrazybandit Registered User Posts: 1,735 Senior Member
    The segmented portion is obviously wrong. But I was wondering, is THIS wrong as well?

Throughout the season the coach would often remind us that the best teammates are not those who strive to set [an individual record] but those...
    Yes, that would be wrong, or at least not as clear as the best teammates are not those who strive to set individual records. In clauses, objects don't always match subjects in number. For example, the sentence They all drank one beer has a plural subject and a singular object. The sentence is correct. It means that each of them drank one beer. Saying "they" instead of "each of them" is OK.
    The acoustics of the ancient Greek theater at Epidaurus are so good that an actor's words, even when whispered, are [auditory] to those sitting in the last row

The segmented portion is wrong, and should be "audible"

What is the exact error? I only got it by ear. I'm confused at what form "auditory" and "audible" are.
    It's not about form. It's about definition. "auditory" is used to describe things that have to do with sound and hearing. For example, the phrase auditory hallucinations refers to hallucinations of hearing. If you are having visual hallucinations, you are seeing things that aren't there, and if you are having auditory hallucinations, you are hearing things that aren't there. The word "audible" is used to describe things that can be heard. The sentence is saying that the acoustics of a certain theater are so good that even whispered words are audible to, or can be heard by, those sitting in the last row.
  • CrazyPlutoCrazyPluto Registered User Posts: 573 Member
    Thanks bandit.
This discussion has been closed.