right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

A few writing questions

warlands719warlands719 484 replies15 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 499 Member
edited February 2012 in SAT Preparation
Hello guys,
Would someone like to explain some of these questions? Thanks!

1) (She and I) shared (so many) interests and hobbies that I began to (wonder whether) the notion of a "soul mate" was more than (just a figment) of Hollywood comedies

No error. Shouldn't it be whether or not?

2) The journalism students were up in arms when (their) new faculty advisor demanded that reporters (for) the school newspaper (censored) content (he believed) was offensive.

Censored is wrong. I have no clue what's wrong

3) The university (where Geraldine wants) to attend has the top-ranked oceanography department in the country.

a) above ^
b) where Geraldine wanted
C) which is where Geraldine wants
D) that Geraldine wants
E) to which Geraldine wants

The answer is d. Why is A incorrect?

Thanks again
edited February 2012
3 replies
Post edited by warlands719 on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: A few writing questions

• IceQubeIceQube 2907 replies280 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,187 Senior Member
    No error. Shouldn't it be whether or not?

"Whether or not" is implicit here.
    The journalism students were up in arms when (their) new faculty advisor demanded that reporters (for) the school newspaper (censored) content (he believed) was offensive.

Censored is wrong. I have no clue what's wrong

The sentence is in the subjunctive mood: "Their new faculty advisor demanded that ... (censored).

Change "censored" to "censor." Not "censors," but simply "censor."

There was another SAT question that tested something like this ... where did you get this question from?
    The university (where Geraldine wants) to attend has the top-ranked oceanography department in the country.

Where refers to a location. Geraldine does not want to attend the location of her university.
    · Reply · Share
  • IceQubeIceQube 2907 replies280 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,187 Senior Member
    Try this: what's wrong with the below sentence?

It is imperative that the government not censor this exhibit, no matter how offensive the images may be, but continues to protect artists' freedom of expression. No error

You can find this sentence and lots of grammar practice/tips on my Quizlet set:

http://quizlet.com/9175594/abridged-grammar-set-flash-cards/
    · Reply · Share
  • warlands719warlands719 484 replies15 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 499 Member
    Thanks for the help IceQube for the fast reply , i look so dumb with these easy questions lol
    The site is awesome as well I will definitely check out then whole thing. My tutor gives me these questions but I could ask him next time I see him and tell you :)
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity