Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Sat CR 100 Point Increase 4 Weeks

AKIndianAKIndian Registered User Posts: 164 Junior Member
edited September 2013 in SAT Preparation
I've done tons of practice test (actual cb ones) and I score around 600-620

I have four weeks till (Oct 5 2013) test.. I want to get a 700..

Any tips.. detailed please..

MY vocab is great.. My weakness is the passage based questions..

I answer questions as I go.. I'm usually stuck between two of the best answer choices.. get 3-5 wrong a section
Post edited by AKIndian on

Replies to: Sat CR 100 Point Increase 4 Weeks

• ViceroVicero Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    practice with the official sat book and if you're done with those, real collegeboard tests.

for passage problems, look at the line numbers of each question (and skim each question), mark the passage with [ ]'s and answer the questions along as you have been doing. search 'how to attack the sat critical reading section effectively' and read the cc post; it helped me get a full score.
  • cakebattercakebatter Registered User Posts: 333 Member
    I went 580 (tanked the reading) --> 650 (tanked the vocab) --> 710 (put it all together)

My advice for the reading is go slow (but obviously not too slow) and NEVER eliminate an answer without thinking carefully. Also make sure your vocab is really as up to par as you think it is, even from a literary standpoint. A lot of the passage based questions contain intricate literary vocab in the answer choices that if you don't know the meaning of, you can get the question wrong. You'd be surprised how often this is the case. For example, if you don't know what "underscore" means or what a "predicament" or "allusion" is then you sure as hell can't get the question right if that happens to be the best answer.

I've also learned that you can never over think a question on the SAT. Make sure each answer you eliminate is eliminated for a reason. Even if one answer seems right at first, make sure the others aren't better. There will always be multiple decent answers, so you need to find the best. Rather than thinking about why a choice is the right answer, think about why it is the wrong choice; try to prove each answer choice wrong, and look for the answer that cannot be proved wrong no matter what. If two seem good, which is more difficult to counter?

I think another classic mistake is going too fast. Think each question through and take your time. Also try different ways of attacking the passage: reading questions first, doing questions as you read the passage, straight up reading the passage then doing questions, etc. You never know which will work for you!

If reading is a section you really struggle with, then my best piece of advice is try the ACT if you haven't already lol. It is so straightforward! Despite all that work I put in studying for the SAT, my ACT score ended up being far superior with ease. (I got a 35 on the ACT reading twice even though I am clearly not a naturally gifted reader). Try both and good luck! :)
  • AKIndianAKIndian Registered User Posts: 164 Junior Member
    Cake batter..

Thanks for your advice.. I will definitely take your advice... hopefully I can get a 710 too
  • badpunditbadpundit Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    In 3 weeks of self-study for the June SAT, my S went from a first-try 2000 (March) to a second-try 2280, an improvement of almost 300 points.

What made him motivated to study and maximized his prep time was a book ("Up Your Score: the Underground Guide to the SAT"). He loved the humor and the practical advice, it kept him laughing and interested.

In that book, the authors insist on practice tests. They suggest practice tests produced by College Board, because those are the ones that actually were used as real SATs.

Therefore, we splurged and spent $60 (on sale at Barnes and Noble) for the Online Course from College Board. You practice the tests under self-timed circumstances, and then type your answers into the online form later. You are immediately given either an exact score, or a likely score range for your answers. The course provides ten practice tests.

In S's case, the weak point was essays. Those too are graded online although I have no idea how.) After the first few practice tests, he realized he was improving overall, but not on the the essays.

So he changed from doing everything timed, to allowing himself unlimited time on the essays, just to see some success. And his scores got much better (went from 4 on his first real SAT to a high of 10 on his best practice test). He scored 740/8 in June.

I think a big part of his CR and Math improvement was developing a rhythm: with practice, he learned when to invest some time in reading slowly and/or re-reading, and when to just answer an easy one immediately.

That book "Up Your Score" made all the difference, I think.
  • AKIndianAKIndian Registered User Posts: 164 Junior Member
    Looks like a good book.. I might have to pick it up
This discussion has been closed.