Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Experimental Section Tracking

DumbAndLethalDumbAndLethal Registered User Posts: 282 Junior Member
edited November 2013 in SAT Preparation
With the knowledge that the experimental section on the SAT is administered to be used on future tests, has anyone ever kept track of the date that an experimental section popped up on the actual SAT?

Being able to tell when variable sections end up getting slapped onto actual tests could lead to a new purpose for CC SAT answer discussions...
Post edited by DumbAndLethal on

Replies to: Experimental Section Tracking

• momof2kymomof2ky Registered User Posts: 481 Member
    agreed......
  • pckellerpckeller Registered User Posts: 1,078 Senior Member
    I don't believe that it works that way -- that an experimental section from one date becomes a real section on another. Some of the questions in an experimental section are revealed to be statistically flawed -- your chance of getting them right does not increase nicely with your score. Or maybe they are too easy or too hard to give meaningful distinctions. In any case, they don't make the cut.

Also, there are multiple experimental sections associated with each test date. So I am having a hard time envisioning something productive coming out of what you are suggesting. It actually has a bit of CC insanity to it. Why not just work hard to master the material on the ~ 20 college board tests already available?
  • xiggixiggi Registered User Posts: 25,441 Senior Member
    Second the above!

All that tracking amounts to much ado about nothing. As far as I know, the only "tracking" that has paid huge dividends is to participate in the post-test discussions, and for the internationals to take advantage of the laziness and hypocrisy of TCB by "tracking" the past US releases. Of course, we also know that there is a lot more than mere amateurs at play here, and that this lucrative business has long ago crossed the line of legality.

All in all, the best antidote to a low score is none other than ... preparing in earnest, and letting the chips fall where they are supposed to. This is available to EVERYONE and does not require massive amounts of sleuthing and "tracking." Just a bit of effort and dedication!
  • DumbAndLethalDumbAndLethal Registered User Posts: 282 Junior Member
    I wasn't saying that this would serve as a substitute to my actual studying. It's probably too late for that, and I don't think I need the crutch. I was just saying it would be an interesting project to research.

Pckeller, I do know what you're talking about in that whole sections do not always simply get schlepped onto a real SAT, but I've also read that they can be. It's unclear which scenario is the rule and which is the exception (or if one is any more common than the other in the first place). Additionally, and you must know a lot more about this than I do, I'm not sure how that would mesh with calculating the curve. If the section isn't given exactly as it was when it was tested, might that screw up the scale, since test-takers might react differently to a question if it were given in conjunction with some other question? I don't know if that's clear, but I'm alluding to the notion that perhaps the questions that remain after CollegeBoard weens away the bad questions are tested again on another experimental section until the entire section checks out. Bah, that still might be unclear..

Anyways, Xiggi what did you mean when you said "this lucrative business has long ago crossed the line of legality"? And I'm truly not as dastardly as you seem to be posing me to be hahaha. I'm actually planning on becoming an SAT tutor..
  • pckellerpckeller Registered User Posts: 1,078 Senior Member
    " And I'm truly not as dastardly as you seem to be posing me to be hahaha. I'm actually planning on becoming an SAT tutor.. "

But actually we all are kind of dastardly. They won't let you into our union otherwise... :)
    Haha you guys have a union? Sweet deal.
    Just thought I'd point this out since I did just create this thread and I happened to notice this while researching something else...

The Blockbuster passage from this November's CR was actually given out as an experimental section about 2 years ago on the October 2011 SAT
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/sat-preparation/1218302-october-2011-sat-general-discussion-2.html
This discussion has been closed.