right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

*OFFICIAL PSAT THREAD 2014 (US)*

Replies to: *OFFICIAL PSAT THREAD 2014 (US)*

• aznboi4981aznboi4981 1058 replies111 threads Senior Member
    I have a funny feeling that cheat thing is off. I did not get this many questions wrong in each section. D: Has it been confirmed?
    · Reply · Share
  • SippingCoffeeSippingCoffee 168 replies20 threads Junior Member
    @aznboi4981 Which method did you use? The jacobbrunson or the multiple links one? And sadly they were both proven to be accurate several times
    · Reply · Share
    Multiple links...
    · Reply · Share
    I am too nervous to do the jacobbrunson one... I don't want to risk anything...
    · Reply · Share
  • rykennedy55rykennedy55 16 replies7 threads New Member
    76 R
    73 M....
    63 W?????
    212 in North Carolina... wow that's disappointing. Everything increased from last year except writing. Dropped 20 points from the PSAT last year and 120 points from my real SAT. This is going to be really, really close.
    · Reply · Share
  • subfivminutemilesubfivminutemile 2 replies0 threads New Member
    Neither of your methods worked for me. Has the collegeboard pulled off the sites or what?
    · Reply · Share
    Maybe I got a 1620... Aghhh...
    · Reply · Share
  • subfivminutemilesubfivminutemile 2 replies0 threads New Member
    @palm12341‌ Neither of your methods worked for me. Has the collegeboard pulled off the sites or what?
    · Reply · Share
  • balrog29balrog29 121 replies16 threads Junior Member
    edited December 2014
    @SippingCoffee

Read the Points to Note

"Percentiles are based on the critical
    reading, mathematics, and writing
    skills scores earned by college-bound
    juniors or sophomores who took the
    PSAT/NMSQT in the previous year."

"Percentiles are based on the Selection Index
    earned by college-bound juniors who took the
    PSAT/NMSQT in the previous year."

Since last year had extremely low percentiles, this year the cutoffs are all likely to jump. Basically every single state's cutoff dropped last year.
    edited December 2014
    · Reply · Share
  • Potter16Potter16 25 replies0 threads New Member
    @balrog29‌ Are you from NJ? Do you seriously think that the NJ cutoff is going to jump from its previous 224? I really don't want it to considering it's already so high....
    · Reply · Share
    I am from NJ too, and I butchered this PSAT. AGH.
    · Reply · Share
  • SippingCoffeeSippingCoffee 168 replies20 threads Junior Member
    @balrog29 ohh, PERCENTILES. I thought you meant the points-->score conversion chart.
    · Reply · Share
  • gkma98gkma98 66 replies0 threads Junior Member
    @balrog29‌
    You're flawed. If you look at the 99th percentile of each PSAT Understanding scores file for different years and compare, you'll see that the lower the base 99th percentile is, the lower the cutoff score is.
    · Reply · Share
  • PAMom21PAMom21 714 replies0 threads Member
    True, most states dropped, but not by much, and this came after a year of many record breaking jumps. With that in mind, many of last year's cuts were still rather high overall. I don't think it's out of the question just yet to expect scores to remain the same. It's really too early to make accurate predictions. The state reports in February, and the commended cut in April will help solidify the guessing.
    · Reply · Share
  • PAMom21PAMom21 714 replies0 threads Member
    Don't forget @gkma98 that the "Understanding Your Scores" reports have only used "last year's data" for the past three years. One has to be extremely careful when looking for trends because of this. In the reports from 2011 (class of 2013) and earlier, the data in the report matched that year's cuts. Your current data, and the reports from 2012 and 2013, all mix two years together.
    · Reply · Share
  • 3boystogo3boystogo 327 replies15 threads Member
    @psywar The official instructions from College Board can be found here:

http://professionals.collegeboard.com/testing/sat-reasoning/scores/reports

Specifically:
    "One point is added for each multiple-choice question answered correctly.
    For multiple-choice questions answered incorrectly, 1/4 point is subtracted:
    No points are subtracted for incorrect answers to the mathematics questions requiring student-produced responses.
    No points are subtracted for omitted questions.
    Then, the total points answered wrong are subtracted from the number answered correctly. If the resulting score is a fraction, it is rounded to the nearest whole number—1/2 or more is rounded up; less than 1/2 is rounded down. "

· Reply · Share
    @3boystogo‌ so you first subtract the number of omitted from the total number of questions, then you find the number wrong for each, multiply it by .25, and then subtract that from the totals you subtracted the number of omitted from, and then you match up the values on the chart?
    · Reply · Share
  • balrog29balrog29 121 replies16 threads Junior Member
    @gkma98‌

How am I flawed? The understanding your score tells the percentiles for last year. It says last years 99th percentile was quite low, and the cutoffs showed as all of them dropped last year. What is flawed? We don't know what the 99th percentile is this year, but it is unlikely to drop as last year had a low 99th percentile.
    · Reply · Share
  • didierdrogbadidierdrogba 142 replies0 threads Junior Member
    When will the state cutoffs be posted? Sorry if someone's already asked this.
    · Reply · Share
  • ckhanyuckhanyu 9 replies0 threads New Member
    I am also getting that message. Did it end up working after you tried later?
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity