Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.
We are excited to announce a new role on College Confidential: The Forum Champion! Read all about it and apply now.

1580 Sat, 17 Essay, what am I to do?

GaussKFGaussKF Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
I am looking at applying to MIT, Caltech, Princeton, Olin, UPenn, Harvard, among others, will this be a significant problem?

This was my second SAT, on my first I scored a 1510/21, and received a 5 on the AP English Composition exam.

Replies to: 1580 Sat, 17 Essay, what am I to do?

• nw2thisnw2this Registered User Posts: 2,493 Senior Member
    You may not get into those schools because they don't have enough space for all qualified students, not because of your essay score.
  • GaussKFGaussKF Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    edited January 16
    excellent, that's a relief
  • CramcrastinatorCramcrastinator Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    If you're an English major it may be a significant problem for the most selective schools. Otherwise, as long as you have A's in your English classes and a strong recommendation letter from an English teacher, it probably won't matter much. 17 isn't so bad.
  • CzeskaCzeska Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    Upenn does NOT require the essay. I called them myself on behalf of a student who got 1590 with only a 19 on the essay. She got in. You can simply call the other colleges (ask to speak to an admissions officer) to see if they require the essay. Good luck!
  • GaussKFGaussKF Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Engineering/C.S/Applied Math major, A's in all but one semester of English classes(I had medical issues), done with Linear Algebra and Differential Equations after junior year, code lead on a top FRC robotics team, lacrosse and soccer, so I don't feel it we'll be too large an issue, as it isn't particularly relevant, I trust myself to write at least a somewhat compelling essay.