Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

National Merit Semifinalist Advancement

hayisforhorsehayisforhorse Registered User Posts: 109 Junior Member
Hi!
So I recently took the PSAT and scored high enough for me to likely be named a semi finalist in my state (TN). I know part of the advancement to finalist is having an SAT score that proves your performance on the PSAT isn’t a fluke. Around what score range should I be shooting for? I’m more familiar with ACT scoring, so I’m not trying to slide by with the bare minimum, just trying to understand.

Thanks so much!

Replies to: National Merit Semifinalist Advancement

• traveler98traveler98 Registered User Posts: 1,146 Senior Member
    edited January 21
    The confirming score for the SAT is based on the selection index, just as semifinalist determination is based on PSAT selection index and not the "straight" PSAT score. For the past two years the confirming SAT selection index cutoff has been three points below the SI cutoff for commended scholars. This year commended cutoff was 211 and SAT confirming cutoff is 208 according to some CC posters who have called National Merit to ask. Check your PSAT score report for your SI and you'll see how it's calculated. SAT score reports do not include SI so you'll have to calculate it yourself.

National Merit won't necessarily announce the SAT confirming SI cutoff in advance, but it won't be higher than commended cutoff which will be readily available in the fall.
  • Bella-1Bella-1 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
    DO you recall when the cutoff for commended scholar was announced. Just wondering if my D will make it or not with a 212.
  • hayisforhorsehayisforhorse Registered User Posts: 109 Junior Member
    I looked at it recently. It’s 211 and not predicted to change for the Class of 2019
  • texaggietexaggie Registered User Posts: 112 Junior Member
    PSAT = selection index (SI) and for SAT is called SSI.

(Reading + Writing + Math) X 2 = SSI score.
    (35 + 35 +36) X 2 = 212

You should do fine. Good luck.