Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Student Punished over SAT Score Improvement

CC AdminCC Admin Administrator Posts: 32,443 Senior Member
edited January 3 in SAT Preparation
This discussion was created from comments split from: ACT Testing Wrongly Accusing Cheating 2017.

Replies to: Student Punished over SAT Score Improvement

• mathhappymathhappy Registered User Posts: 34 Junior Member
    Don't know if anyone saw this, but an article in the Miami Times a few days ago may be the beginning of coverage for this issue: https://www.miamitimesonline.com/education/miami-gardens-student-punished-over-sat-scores/article_71a65c2e-0a22-11e9-a5f9-8bfb9e4312e3.html I'm not personally affected by this messed-up process but I feel so badly for all of you who are!
  • evergreen5evergreen5 Registered User Posts: 1,234 Senior Member
    ^The above article is about the SAT, not the ACT. (The article is a little odd in that it references ETS, but I think the referenced Office of Testing Integrity is part of College Board, not ETS. While ETS's current role is unclear, ETS is believed to no longer write the SAT1 since its 2016 redesign. There was a significant cheating issue for the international Oct 2018 SAT and perhaps that is related to whatever College Board process flagged this student.)
  • affirmaffirm Registered User Posts: 27 Junior Member
  • JBStillFlyingJBStillFlying Registered User Posts: 5,778 Senior Member
    "Prominent civil rights attorney Ben Crump, a Florida State graduate, got involved when asked to help by other FSU alums. He is steering Campbell and her mother through the process of demanding The College Board validate her score in time for her to be accepted into the Florida State dance program."

Um, not sure suing your way into admission will work in general. Good luck to anyone going that route!

At least CNN seemed to get the facts right.

Those innocent testers facing this situation should be able to provide enough evidence to establish that they weren't cheating. The big injustices were that ACT delayed the review until the student was near graduated, used a secretive process for arbitration, and ignored detailed information submitted by the student after requesting such.

This case seems distinguishable in many respects from what testers and their families here are going through. Ms. Campbell retook the test just this past October and was notified within two months (which seems like a reasonable amount of time). Her response is to hire a civil rights lawyer who then demands that the testing agency reverse the results so that she can attend her "dream school". Maybe it's just the snippet of video but this resembles a strategic tactic more than a good-faith effort of the accused to establish her innocence. Have they provided the evidence to the testing agency or to the press? Cheating does occur and it's a terrible problem. Would be great if CNN could include a bit of reporting there to more balanced and less like an advocate for one side.

This is not to diminish any legitimate achievement Ms. Campbell accomplished. CB (or ETS as she continues to maintain - perhaps they are functioning as the investigative arm here) should do the right thing in the right amount of time - demonstrating neither capriciousness in examination of her test results nor cowardice in the face of any bullying by lawyers or the press.
  • spqr70njspqr70nj Registered User Posts: 221 Junior Member
    I hope she wins. The College Board is a joke. They have no control over their testing materials. The tests administered in June 2018 and August 2018 were a disgrace. A prior international test being reissued - no modifications - and a harsh curve because they couldn’t come up with challenging questions. The students are the ones that are affected. Didn’t hit the College Board’s bottom-line.
  • Leigh22Leigh22 Registered User Posts: 274 Junior Member
    Why one and done? Makes no sense.
  • Leigh22Leigh22 Registered User Posts: 274 Junior Member
    JB - it is clearly stated in coverage that she bought and used a book also.
  • PublisherPublisher Registered User Posts: 5,881 Senior Member
    edited January 4
    The news reports that I read & saw indicated that the increase in score alone would not warrant withholding one's SAT score. ETS claims that there is an additional irregularity in this case.

Essentially, ETS is accusing the student of copying answers from nearby test takers.
    edited January 4
    @Leigh22 - the more recent press coverage seems better informed than the initial coverage, which had garbled several facts and provided a confusing mash of her various prep sources.
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 12,221 Senior Member
    I'm following this. The reason for holding her score is so opaque, I'd love to see the CB/ETS have to explain exactly why they think she cheated. Suing may be the only way to do this.
    Well, these guys have sophisticated modeling that helps them figure out whether a test should be flagged. For instance, if one test mimics another in terms of answers both right and wrong, or perhaps even in scratch marks or erasure marks, it's going to get flagged. The statistical modeling will let them know what the probability is that this could be random and some investigative work on their part (proximity to the other tester, etc.) fills in the rest. Whether they figure out if the two testers were in cahoots or one party was a victim of cheating is unclear. It's also unclear that Ms. Campbell is accused of cheating; she could be the unknowing victim of someone else who is cheating. ETS doesn't say, right? Nor do they say they do anything more in these types of cases other than offer a retest. Maybe it's too difficult to figure out whether any scheme took place. Lots of speculation but they aren't going to be more forthcoming. It's unfortunate that these things occur but - again - the main issue in this case is speed, which CB seems to be attempting. ACT - totally different story.
  • marvin100marvin100 Registered User Posts: 9,799 Senior Member
    I'm very, very skeptical that they really have "sophisticated modeling," and I've known totally honest students who worked super hard and made big gains only to have their scores cancelled. Very hard to have that conversation with a crying kid and a furious dad, let me tell you. Pretty sure I've written about at least one similar case on CC, even.