right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We have changed the way we log in on College Confidential. Read more here.

Materials and Approaches for Getting 800 on the Math SAT?

sattutsattut 1006 replies81 threads Senior Member
With students at high scores looking for 750-800, I use PWN and Barrons Math SAT Workbook. I also use practice tests and the hard problems from practice tests, mostly real ones. I find it difficult to get enough missed problems to go over. With the old SAT, there were 3 different books of really hard problems. These were somewhat controversial, but there seemed like more material to use. What materials are approaches have been helpful going for a perfect score?
7 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Materials and Approaches for Getting 800 on the Math SAT?

• am9799am9799 959 replies29 threads Member
    The new SAT does not have "hard" problems. What you need for a 800 is to make no stupid or careless mistakes. Emphasis should be given in accuracy and creating methods that you never misread, rush or overlook a question.
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 1612 replies25 threads Senior Member
    Sorry, but 99%+ of students taking the test don’t only make stupid and careless mistakes.
    · Reply · Share
  • TheGreyKingTheGreyKing 2213 replies103 threadsForum Champion Williams College Forum Champion
    The Steve Warner book is good- be sure to buy the one that says “advanced course” and is intended for students who score over a 600 with no prep before that.
    · Reply · Share
  • XtremeBlaze777XtremeBlaze777 115 replies14 threads Junior Member
    I use PWN and Barrons Math SAT Workbook. I also use practice tests and the hard problems from practice tests, mostly real ones.
    I'm pretty sure Barron's is supposed to be harder than the actual test so just do repeated practice. It has so many practice tests and it only takes an hour of your time.
    · Reply · Share
  • homerdoghomerdog 5727 replies105 threads Senior Member
    Get the Black Book for the SAT. It teaches some ways to do problems that stump you. S19 found it very helpful even after doing the entire PWN book. He got an 800. Zero wrong on his first and only SAT.
    · Reply · Share
  • homerdoghomerdog 5727 replies105 threads Senior Member
    RichInPitt wrote: »
    Sorry, but 99%+ of students taking the test don’t only make stupid and careless mistakes.

And, huh? I think 99 percent of kids probably DO make careless mistakes on a high stakes test like the SAT with a time constraint.
    · Reply · Share
  • am9799am9799 959 replies29 threads Member
    edited January 16
    @RichInPitt The poster specifically asks about the range of 750-800 which is now one to two missed questions and most probably than not are careless mistakes.

Anyway, my point was that if you already score above 700 trying to solve harder and harder question is not necessarily helpful. It would be more helpful to increase your accuracy and double and triple check your answers.
    edited January 16
    · Reply · Share