right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Rohan is a freshman at Dartmouth (and loves it) having gotten in ED for the Class of 2023. He's here to debunk myths regarding admissions and student life at his school. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our May Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

How can I improve my SAT Reading Section?

greengiraffegreengiraffe 4 replies4 threads New Member
I am trying to increase my SAT Reading point. I have been studying for the SAT for over 6 months now, and my reading section didn't really improve much. Every time I solve a practice test, I make 10-12 mistakes. Always. My writing is not bad, I make from 1-4 mistakes. But I want my reading section mistakes to decrease to 4/5 mistakes. How can I do that? I never managed to improve it. English is not my native language so I think that's one of the reasons. But people in my school who have similar English levels are way better than me in the Reading section. I need help because I will take the August SAT but my reading section is still not improving. I solved every Khan Academy reading test and every collegeboard practice test.
1 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: How can I improve my SAT Reading Section?

• spano30spano30 14 replies0 threads New Member
    edited May 26
    Your problem is not uncommon amongst most SAT test-takers. The Reading section can be one of the hardest to improve and many students (either due to time constraints or intellectual limitations) may unfortunately never be able to reach certain levels their peers can. With that being said, if you have already exhausted every public SAT practice test available, I can suggest two courses of action.

1. Re-do every wrong answer you've gotten on the Reading sections from these tests and see if you have learned from your mistakes. There are also videos on specific strategies for the Reading section. All of these videos are entirely free.

2. Consider working with a qualified private tutor. Most tutors will have access to dozens upon dozens of Practice Tests (in addition to the ones you've completed already) and should be able to assess your weaknesses and create a plan to work on them efficiently and effectively.

Best of luck and let me know if you have any questions!
    edited May 26
    Post edited by Lindagaf on
    · Reply · Share