right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Finding the right college for your unique situation can be challenging. Hear from other students who shared their admissions story. Download our FREE Student Voices - vol. 1, Student Voices - vol. 2, Student Voices - vol. 3, and Student Voices - vol. 4 eBooks NOW!
PARENTS4PARENTS: With the deadlines for ED/EA coming up shortly, thumper1 and happymomof1 will be answering questions and sharing their tips on how to build your college list. ASK THEM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our October Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

SAT Test

randomuser69randomuser69 1 replies1 threads New Member
edited September 14 in SAT Preparation
I took the SAT test once during freshman year and scored a 1560. I am satisfied with this score and I'm not planning to take it again during my junior year. Will colleges accept scores from then or will I need to take it again to apply to college?
edited September 14
3 replies
Post edited by skieurope on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: SAT Test

• Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 3877 replies94 threads Senior Member
    Right now, I can't think of anyone who is requiring scores. That's a great score, though, and you should submit it if the college will consider it. If you are still in high school, then yes, colleges will accept it. In pre-covid days there were a few tippy tops who preferred junior/senior year scores (they stated that on their admissions web page if that was the case). Again, though, right now no one is requiring scores and few students are able to get one if they want one because test sites keep canceling, so if you submit one, it is highly unlikely they'll nit-pick a date from the last 3-4 years.
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 3000 replies48 threads Senior Member
    Carnegie-Mellon is the only one I’ve seen that say “ we’re generally not in favor of any 9th or 10th grade SAT or ACT Test scores”, but there could be others - I certainly haven’t surveyed all schools.

When I asked about this (my D had the same score in 8th) regarding CMU, I had several PMs from parents/students who were admitted with only 10th or earlier scores. (Their apparently argument that a student may become less qualified on an absolute basis seems silly to me.)

My D is only going to take it again to satisfy National Merit requirements of a score within one year of the PSAT score. It’s been announced that this “ will not be required or considered for Finalist standing in the 2021 National Merit Scholarship Program.”, but says nothing about next year (assuming you’re a Junior).
    · Reply · Share
  • randomuser69randomuser69 1 replies1 threads New Member
    I am a current junior. Also, do you know where i can find which colleges discourage 9/10th grade scores?
    · Reply · Share