right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Which Vocab list did the best?

dark knightdark knight 716 replies59 posts. Member
edited June 2008 in SAT Preparation
Thanks to CCFanatic's amazing work we now have almost all of the CR questions. So which Vocab list did the best? I used PR's Hit Parade. It was just ok. The 2008 Hit Parade has 253 words that generated 7 hits: Pragmatic, Enigma, Parity (Great Hit!!!), Ameliorate, Exacerbate, Obstinate and Coherent.
edited June 2008
45 replies
Post edited by dark knight on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Which Vocab list did the best?

• azncutie1300azncutie1300 32 replies5 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    I'm kind of wishing i had used one of those vocab lists.
    words like parity, nuanced and a couple others tripped me up.
    i think i got 5 wrong in CR. 4 of which are because of vocab
    · Reply · Share
  • zhaoszhaos 146 replies11 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    any vocab list have obstreperous? I didn't use vocab lists but I usually get the right answer through process of elimination. enough practice and no need to memorize lists.
    · Reply · Share
  • brendanwwbrendanww 290 replies19 postsRegistered User Member
    I have never tried to use the vocab lists EVER and I usually get a perfect score or -1. I think your better off becoming a Harry Potter geek and obsessively memorizing all the spells (Harry Potter spells have helped out on quite a few occasions). Try and make connections between your classes. Example: on the last test olfactory was a word option, and anyone who has taken biology knows that you have "olfactory cells" in your nose. Or if you take a romantic language, consider what similar sounding words in your language are. For example, you can figure out the word coquettish, which is a word not commonly used (at least among high school students), by thinking of the more commonly used spanish verb coquetear (to flirt).

That's sort of my rant/advice to anyone trying to do well on the vocab section. I don't know half the words that show up, but I draw upon every source of information possible to answer the questions.

edit: I haven't taken latin, but I would assume that Latin would help more than anything else when it comes to the vocab section (in sort of the same way Harry Potter spells, which are basic manipulations of latin, help out).
    · Reply · Share
    you can remember parity by thinking of "parlee" (sp? probably an accent on the last e) from Pirates of the Caribbean 1 - the "pirate law" that cute girl invokes when she is kidnapped by the black pearl.
    · Reply · Share
  • azncutie1300azncutie1300 32 replies5 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    personally i just use elimination. normally i can eliminate all but 2 of them (mostly from latin and previous vocab knowledge). im just unlucky in the fact that i usually end up guessing the wrong one
    · Reply · Share
  • BigWeightBigWeight 892 replies86 postsRegistered User Member
    well. i didnt even study vocab once and got 16/19 right.

I agree CR was much easier this time....I'm scared of the curve :(
    · Reply · Share
  • seamonsterseamonster 63 replies1 posts- Junior Member
    Barron's Hot Words was a dud! 396 words and just 6 hits. Ugh! The hits were
    Abstemious, ameliorate, mock, obstinate, enigma and skeptic.

I got PARITY right because in golf PAR is equal to the course!
    · Reply · Share
    good thinking seamonster! that's how I get half of the vocab probs right
    · Reply · Share
  • sushifureaksushifureak 340 replies15 postsRegistered User Member
    i used Kaplan.
    out of 1000 words, there were MANY hits. I studied mainly from there, and if the CC SC answers are right, I got them all correct :)
    · Reply · Share
  • iborrowedthisidiborrowedthisid 89 replies6 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Read the NY times every day. No need to cram with vocab study guides.
    · Reply · Share
  • Iron-ladyIron-lady 37 replies2 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Direct Hits Vocabulary was a hit! The examples were interesting and even made me laugh. Best of all there were tons of hits. I would have never gotten OBSTREPEROUS, VITRIOLIC and REMUNERATE right without studying this book.
    · Reply · Share
  • dark knightdark knight 716 replies59 posts. Member
    Sushifureak where did you get the Kaplan list? I have a copy of Kaplan's 2006 SAT book (the math is decent). I just looked at Kaplan's list of 500 Vocab words. They had 4 hits: abstemious, obstinate, olfactory, and remuneration. Could be the problem is that I have an old edition.
    · Reply · Share
    I used Kaplan's "Score Raising Dictionary" .
    It's a small, purple book-only like $5.

I'm not sure if all the words were in there, but a majority were.
    · Reply · Share
  • RahoulVARahoulVA 1103 replies261 postsRegistered User Senior Member
    I think that I only got one wrong, but I definitely feel that my success came from looking at the Sparknotes 1000 and this list

SuperKids Learn 1000 SAT Vocabulary Words in a month!

Sparknotes 1000 is a must see if you ask me. I looked over the whole thing on test day and it helped a lot(not memorize the whole thing that day, just refresh).
    · Reply · Share
    Thank you, Sushifureak!
    · Reply · Share
    Iron-Lady, how many words are there in Direct Hits and how many of them were hits on the June SAT? Thanks!
    · Reply · Share
  • sberlinsberlin 149 replies4 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Reading a lot for my whole life seems to help me a lot more than vocab books...though the word of the day on yahoo and such sometimes have words that show up
    In my english class last year, we learned "morphemes" which were basically root words, and those are amazingly useful, with each one making up dozens of other words
    · Reply · Share
  • ivyleague104ivyleague104 606 replies92 postsRegistered User Member
    did anyone have kaplan's flip-o-matic? how successful was that?
    · Reply · Share
    i have that. it was kaplan 'extreme' flip-o-matic. the words were wayyy harder than usual SAT words on lists. i wouldn't suggest studying from that unless you have absolutely exhausted ALL of your other sat vocabulary sources.
    · Reply · Share
  • Iron-ladyIron-lady 37 replies2 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Dark Knight - Direct Hits Vocabulary has 365 words. There were 13 hits on the June SAT. The hits were: REMUNERATE, OBSTINATE, ICONOCLAST, OBSTREPEROUS, UNDAUNTED, VITRIOLIC, MOCK, PARADOX, SKEPTICAL, PRAGMATIC, COHERENT, ENIGMATIC and PAINSTAKING. My CR score is going UP!
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity