Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Writing 580-800

JMEG91JMEG91 Registered User Posts: 96 Junior Member
edited March 2010 in SAT Preparation
So, I'd like to up my writing score 220 points. My essay was a twelve, but I never really reviewed any SAT writing prep books. Suggestions, folks? Generally speaking, writing comes rather naturally to me.
Post edited by JMEG91 on

Replies to: Writing 580-800

• brownman23brownman23 Registered User Posts: 621 Member
    not to sound like a jackas*, you need to buy/review a prep book. They help a lot by telling tips to get around the CB tricks. They also tell you all the types of grammar rules you should know to get a 800.

Personal tips...ignore the meaning of the question and focus on the grammar.

Good luck.
  • EspeonEspeon Registered User Posts: 127 Junior Member
    Doing practice tests helped me a lot. I went from 650 to 770. Use official practice tests, and review questions you answered incorrectly. For a prep book, I would recommend Rocket Review. You can also google "sparknotes seven deadly grammar rules." It's short, but learning those seven rules helps significantly.
  • eastboundeastbound Registered User Posts: 95 Junior Member
    I hate to burst your bubble, sir, but you excelled at the least respected portion of the SAT. Take a look at this article:

Margaret Finnegan: Smart writing for clever readers.

"Granted, students who did well on the written part of the test have demonstrated that they understand the rules of grammar, usage, and punctuation. That knowledge will help some freshmen coast, a little. But, beyond that, all that these particular students have proven is that they understand a very formulaic template for persuasive writing, namely, the five-paragraph essay."

So you've demonstrated that you don't understand the rules of grammar, usage, and punctuation, but you have memorized the formula of an immature essay. The above article's conclusion appears to be widely accepted by most top-tier universities (though I'm too lazy to back up that claim). I'd say that writing in fact does not come "rather naturally" to you. Pick up a book and learn English.
This discussion has been closed.