right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Silverturtle's Guide to SAT and Admissions Success

Replies to: Silverturtle's Guide to SAT and Admissions Success

• jjtheairplanejjtheairplane 181 replies12 threads Junior Member
    This is sooo awesomee silver turtle!, but it wont help me cuase im dont with stupid sat's lol

anyway, i wanted to ask about the applying to the number of schools question

If im concentrating on one Ed (Penn) and i would like apply to 2-3 other reach schools (NW, Hopkins, and Brown), and also applying on 2-3 med programs (moderatly seletive ones, not focusing too much on HMPE, or even doing rice/baylor), then is this a reasonable strategy?
    · Reply · Share
  • MateoMMateoM 28 replies4 threads Junior Member
    @silverturtle

Well Grammar from Cambridge Grammar in Use
    Vocabulary from Direct Hits and word lists
    Read, well i will try to read the best well written books posible
    Essays i think that i will write them from a random topic

and about math problems i think that i will try to get a book or something like that,

so this is ok or should i use the blue book on everything? (but i think that if i do that i will ran out of practice tests soon.

Also i'm including your guide in Math, CR and Writing

Thanks
    · Reply · Share
  • silverturtlesilverturtle 12415 replies81 threads Senior Member
    If im concentrating on one Ed (Penn) and i would like apply to 2-3 other reach schools (NW, Hopkins, and Brown), and also applying on 2-3 med programs (moderatly seletive ones, not focusing too much on HMPE, or even doing rice/baylor), then is this a reasonable strategy?

If Penn is your first choice and you have safeties that you wouldn't mind attending, that plan seems fine.
    · Reply · Share
    Well Grammar from Cambridge Grammar in Use

Or you could try my grammar guide. :)
    Vocabulary from Direct Hits and word lists

Yes, that sounds fine.
    Read, well i will try to read the best well written books posible

Reading is a good habit, but it is inefficient if you are doing it for the sole purpose of preparing for the SAT.
    and about math problems i think that i will try to get a book or something like that

Doing all the available official tests and using Gruber's if you really need to should be sufficient.
    · Reply · Share
  • MateoMMateoM 28 replies4 threads Junior Member
    Reading well sure im doing it as a habit and for entertaining purposes too but i also think it could help me on writing my essay and other stuff,

And about math, the test im going to do them and when im done i will see if i need improvement on math, if it is i will get gruber if not im leaving it like that.

And about grammar well your grammar guide seems complete but the cambridge books have exersices and that stuff, also english isn't my foreign language so extra grammar wouldn't hurt me.

Also how much time you think i should put on each area besides the test?

And thanks for the advice
    · Reply · Share
  • vonlostvonlost 18786 replies14447 threads Super Moderator
    Re #78 and #80, there's no contradiction. The student tells Columbia that the offer cannot be accepted due to financial reasons, and Columbia releases the student. That is how it works, no "petition" is necessary.

We should publicize this anomaly of having to "fight" to be released; which school was it? Applicants should know which schools are not following the rules. There's no reason to scare off students who need financial aid from applying ED to their dream schools that follow the rules.
    · Reply · Share
    We should publicize this anomaly of having to "fight" to be released; which school was it?

What makes you think that it is anomalous? (That is a sincere question.) As for the school, I do not recall; it was a liberal arts college that I hadn't heard of.
    That is how it works, no "petition" is necessary.

You must have a misconception of the breadth of the semantic implications of the word petition then, because what you described fits well within my intended use of the word.
    · Reply · Share
    And about grammar well your grammar guide seems complete but the cambridge books have exersices and that stuff, also english isn't my foreign language so extra grammar wouldn't hurt me.

Ah, I hadn't realized that English was not your first language. In that case, looking to other sources is a good idea.
    Also how much time you think i should put on each area besides the test?

This is a really difficult question to answer generally. Tangible accomplishment should drive your preparation, not satisfying minimum time limits.
    · Reply · Share
  • manu101manu101 560 replies32 threads Member
    This is an amazing guide and I applaud your great efforts! Good luck with college apps and all your future endeavors :)
    · Reply · Share
    "What makes you think that it is anomalous?"

The missing first-hand reports of schools not following the known rule, the presence only of rumor and hearsay. Clearly no proof either way.

"You must have a misconception of the breadth of the semantic implications of the word petition then, because what you described fits well within my intended use of the word."

Petition means request, but in the Common App case only notification is required.

My only objection is the discouraging of students from applying ED to their dream schools when they need financial aid. Schools that support this really want such students to attend; the schools go into it knowing they'll take a financial "loss" on these students, compared to full list price payers.
    · Reply · Share
    Clearly no proof either way.

Yes, which is why I am hesitant to diverge from the safer route of advising those in need of financial aid that is not explicitly assured by the school (as in the $60,0000-threshold at many top schools) against applying ED.
    · Reply · Share
  • kunalkunal2kunalkunal2 115 replies20 threads Junior Member
    I joined this site just to say that your guide is very helpful, and I appreciate your contributions.
    But, I do I have some questions.
    I am an Asian, but a first generation student. Will this "hook" help me even though I'm Asian, and if so, how?
    Your guide also said that chances of being accepted to a top college are greatly reduced if no one has been to that school. I go to a christian school with a small high school of 200 students. None of our students go to Ivy league school, we've only had one go to Cornell which was 5 years ago. Now, what should I do? I'm currently a rising junior and it's to late to transfer. Should I transfer to another school for my senior year?

Thanks in advance
    -Kunal
    · Reply · Share
  • xiggixiggi 24571 replies872 threads Senior Member
    Re #78 and #80, there's no contradiction. The student tells Columbia that the offer cannot be accepted due to financial reasons, and Columbia releases the student. That is how it works, no "petition" is necessary.

We should publicize this anomaly of having to "fight" to be released; which school was it? Applicants should know which schools are not following the rules. There's no reason to scare off students who need financial aid from applying ED to their dream schools that follow the rules.

After dozens of threads and thousands of posts on this issue, it is obvious that the divide still exist. Some seem to believe that the language printed on the Common Application amounts to the final word on the issue. Others believe that this is NOT TRUE, and that the DECISION to release a student is still in the hands of the ED school, if the student ACCEPTED the offer. It is interesting to note that Columbia, according to the positions of some, would HAVE to issue a release based on a simple "notification." This is rather surprising as Columbia was one of the few schools that made their position ... public by posting the ED release rules on their site. They also added language that they would release a student to attend lower ranked schools. It is possible that they had a change of heart and that they did publish new language since the past discussions on CC, but that used the be the case in the past.

No matter how one slices it, there are POSSIBLE penalties from playing fast and loose with the ED rules. While it is obvious that no school would ever force a student to attend a school he cannot afford, they surely can make attending a different school in the same admission cycle very hard or impossible.

And this does not even address the issue of integrity and honor when signing a binding application. This does not mean that one should not apply and use his or right to REJECT the offer of admission. The rules, however, do not account for accepting an ED application and not withdrawing all other applications. Again, some people do not see that as a lack of integrity, but to each its own!

PS By the way, it would extremely unfortunate to see this guide marred by discussions about nebulous elements such as the need of obtaining a release from a ED contract. All discussions in this forum should remain related to the SAT preparation.
    · Reply · Share
    I am an Asian, but a first generation student. Will this "hook" help me even though I'm Asian, and if so, how?

Being a first-generation college student generally affords a modest but meaningful advantage. Being Asian does not change that.
    Your guide also said that chances of being accepted to a top college are greatly reduced if no one has been to that school. I go to a small christian school with a small high school of 200 students. None of our students go to Ivy league school, we've only had one go to Cornell which was 5 years ago. Now, what should I do? I'm currently a rising junior and it's to late to transfer. Should I transfer to another school for my senior year?

I did not wish to convey the point that extremely. If you stand out at your school and take advantage of your opportunities, you will not be overlooked simply because of your school's history. My point was that your school's history is helpful as a rough indicator.
    · Reply · Share
    ^ Well, I look at the big picture of the numerous first-hand reports of ED FA success we see on these pages, coupled with the lack of first-hand reports of problems with the process, and conclude that applying for FA at ED time can be appropriate for those with a dream school when they don't care about comparing FA packages from various schools.
    · Reply · Share
  • xiggixiggi 24571 replies872 threads Senior Member
    Vossron, I believe that applying ED is an extremely valid path, and perhaps the best alternative for students with extremely low EFC.

Where we do not seem to agree is that a student should either accept or reject the offer of admission by the deadline imposed by the school. The ED should not offer students the right or time to negotiate packages and play games using the imprecise language of the Common Application as their fig leave.
    · Reply · Share
  • LightSourceLightSource 694 replies51 threads- Member
    What ends up being self-reported on the Application apart from AP scores? Extracurriculars and volunteering?
    · Reply · Share
    What ends up being self-reported on the Application apart from AP scores? Extracurriculars and volunteering?

Extracurriculars (which are grouped with volunteering), AP scores, and awards are only self-reported. However, admissions officers will attempt to independently confirm any outstanding achievements. SAT scores and the like are also self-reported, but you must send in score reports for the scores to be considered.
    · Reply · Share
  • stef1astef1a 362 replies58 threads Junior Member
    I have a question for silverturtle about the admission process: I am a Harvard legacy student. One of my relatives is a Harvard alumni (he went there for college) and he has donated millions of dollars to the school. How can I exploit him to my advantage (rec. letter?), and if I did so, by how much would it increase my chances of getting in? (it sounds very diabolical saying that, lol).
    · Reply · Share
    ^ What is the relation?
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity