right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Silverturtle's Guide to SAT and Admissions Success

Replies to: Silverturtle's Guide to SAT and Admissions Success

• LightSourceLightSource 694 replies51 threads- Member
    ^Ok thanks! What would you consider an "outstanding achievement"?
    · Reply · Share
    How can I exploit him to my advantage
    I laughed hard. :p
    · Reply · Share
  • stef1astef1a 362 replies58 threads Junior Member
    He is a cousin of mine/my mother's*, I believe.

*[more related to grammar than to me being a legacy, but, in this context, would it be mother's, mothers, or mothers'?]
    · Reply · Share
  • silverturtlesilverturtle 12415 replies81 threads Senior Member
    What would you consider an "outstanding achievement"?

This will vary from school to school, from admissions officer to admissions officer, and with the ease with which the claim can be checked. USAMO, for example, can easily be checked online, so they will likely attempt to confirm that (MIT says that they always check this). Likewise, awards in other major competitions can almost always be and usually will be checked.
    · Reply · Share
    He is a cousin of mine/my mother's*, I believe.

Then you will likely receive nor or little benefit in the legacy sense, but submitting a positive and seemingly informed recommendation from a big donor can provide a huge boost.
    *[more related to grammar than to me being a legacy, but, in this context, would it be mother's, mothers, or mothers'?]

You can write cousin of my mother or cousin of my mother's. Both are acceptable.
    · Reply · Share
  • keresenkeresen 2 replies0 threads New Member
    For anyone who is religious, I would strongly recommend praying. It works especially well for standardized tests...
    · Reply · Share
    nor or little benefit

Woops, meant to say "no or little benefit."
    · Reply · Share
    but submitting a positive and seemingly informed recommendation from a big donor can provide a huge boost.
    Is this done in hopes of not alienating the donor?
    · Reply · Share
    Is this done in hopes of not alienating the donor?

Yes. Colleges like money.
    · Reply · Share
  • Ren the SAT'erRen the SAT'er 2181 replies122 threads Senior Member
    Wow, nice work! What an exhaustive guide!

I didn't even see it on the first page because it was stickied =P

Well done.
    · Reply · Share
  • xrCalico23xrCalico23 4661 replies12 threads Senior Member
    ^second that. silverturtle, thank you so much again for creating this guide. Really, it has so many extremely helpful hints for scoring well on the SAT, especially for the writing section.
    · Reply · Share
    No problem. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • yearsofwisdomyearsofwisdom 394 replies85 threads Member
    silver, i'm just wondering what schools you plan on applying to?
    · Reply · Share
  • ChubsterChubster 47 replies12 threads New Member
    This is pretty intense win.
    · Reply · Share
    @yearsofwisdom: I will PM you.
    · Reply · Share
  • fastbreakfastbreak 59 replies10 threads Junior Member
    Asians may face a road that is slightly more difficult than that for Whites (though I don't see significant evidence of this), but plenty still manage to get accepted (and in disproportionately high numbers). Consider these data. At Harvard, Asian applicants are over-represented by about 300%; White applicants have about 60% of what their proportional representation would be. At MIT, Asian applicants are over-represented by about 550%; White applicants have about 48% of what their proportional representation would be. Clearly, it is quite possible to get accepted, no matter your race.

Could an asain applicant avoid this problem by simply choosing not to report their ethnicity?
    · Reply · Share
    Couldn't an asain applicant avoid this problem by simply choosing not to report their ethnicity?

Indeed, any applicant may leave that category blank. It is unclear how this affects the admissions process, however.
    · Reply · Share
  • ruvuittonruvuitton 117 replies54 threads Junior Member
    Silverturtle, for the idiomatic phrasal verbs, did you actually memorize all that? I looked through the list, and did not recognize a lot of them...I feel like it's one of those things where if you memorize it, you can forget it or get confused very easily...Are there specific ones where the collegeboard likes to use frequently or is knowing the whole list the only way?
    · Reply · Share
    ^ I don't know of any that have been repeatedly tested. But it shouldn't be too difficult to learn them if you read them aloud and try to calibrate your mind's ear to recognize the correct form.
    · Reply · Share
  • Vince011Vince011 810 replies10 threads Member
    How long did this guide actually take to make? I found it all very helpful, especially the writing section; I'll be coming back to it in October =]
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity