Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Silverturtle's Guide to SAT and Admissions Success

Replies to: Silverturtle's Guide to SAT and Admissions Success

• vonlostvonlost Super Moderator Posts: 31,702 Super Moderator
    The only way that you can be relieved from this is if the college accepts a petition that your financial aid is not sufficient to allow your attendance. Nonetheless, you should not apply ED to a school if you need financial aid, nor should you apply ED if the school is not your first choice. ED does generally afford an admissions advantage, though.

Please post the source of this info about a "petition" and which schools require it. This is at odds with the Common Application ED agreement:
    Should a student who applies for financial aid not be offered an award that makes attendance possible, the student may decline the offer of admission and be released from the Early Decision commitment.
    https://www.commonapp.org/CommonApp/docs/downloadforms/ED_Agreement.pdf

It's also at odds with the real world:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/04/education/edlife/strategy.html

Imagine what would happen if such a "petition" were denied. Imagine a school expelling a student somehow compelled to attend when the bill couldn't be paid. Imagine the publicity.

Some schools have given up, eliminating ED due to this myth, where too many well-to-do students were applying ED. Many students get acceptable financial aid at ED time; some schools keep trying to attract top students who have one dream school and need financial aid.
  • xrCalico23xrCalico23 Registered User Posts: 4,673 Senior Member
    I believe, vossron, that it is a matter of word choice.

From Columbia University:
    If you are admitted under the Early Decision program, you are obligated to accept Columbia's offer of admission. Once you accept Columbia's offer of admission, you may file no further college applications and must withdraw any other applications that have already been submitted. Only students who (after consultation with the Financial Aid Office) cite financial reasons for not attending will be released from the Early Decision agreement.

The "petition" the OP mentioned was probably in reference to the citation of financial reasons for not attending the university that many colleges have in place.
  • silverturtlesilverturtle Registered User Posts: 12,496 Senior Member
    Man i have more than 3 months to study for the SAT, using the blue book once a week just for testing is enough?

On the other days i will be learning grammar, vocabulary, writing essays, reading and solving
    math problems, so that means im only going to use the blue book in sunday and just for a complete test and review.

Is this a good way to study?

From what sources will you "be learning grammar, vocabulary, writing essays, reading and solving math problems"?
    The "petition" the OP mentioned was probably in reference to the citation of financial reasons that many colleges have in place.

Yes, you correctly read what I wrote.

@vossron: I personally know someone who had to fight very hard to get out of the ED agreement even after indicating financial reasons because the school maintained that their initial offer was sufficient.
  • hahalolkhahalolk Registered User Posts: 1,757 Senior Member
    This is quite an impressive thread.
  • jjtheairplanejjtheairplane Registered User Posts: 193 Junior Member
    This is sooo awesomee silver turtle!, but it wont help me cuase im dont with stupid sat's lol

anyway, i wanted to ask about the applying to the number of schools question

If im concentrating on one Ed (Penn) and i would like apply to 2-3 other reach schools (NW, Hopkins, and Brown), and also applying on 2-3 med programs (moderatly seletive ones, not focusing too much on HMPE, or even doing rice/baylor), then is this a reasonable strategy?
  • MateoMMateoM Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    @silverturtle

Well Grammar from Cambridge Grammar in Use
    Vocabulary from Direct Hits and word lists
    Read, well i will try to read the best well written books posible
    Essays i think that i will write them from a random topic

and about math problems i think that i will try to get a book or something like that,

so this is ok or should i use the blue book on everything? (but i think that if i do that i will ran out of practice tests soon.

Also i'm including your guide in Math, CR and Writing

Thanks
    If im concentrating on one Ed (Penn) and i would like apply to 2-3 other reach schools (NW, Hopkins, and Brown), and also applying on 2-3 med programs (moderatly seletive ones, not focusing too much on HMPE, or even doing rice/baylor), then is this a reasonable strategy?

If Penn is your first choice and you have safeties that you wouldn't mind attending, that plan seems fine.
    Well Grammar from Cambridge Grammar in Use

Or you could try my grammar guide. :)
    Vocabulary from Direct Hits and word lists

Yes, that sounds fine.
    Read, well i will try to read the best well written books posible

Reading is a good habit, but it is inefficient if you are doing it for the sole purpose of preparing for the SAT.
    and about math problems i think that i will try to get a book or something like that

Doing all the available official tests and using Gruber's if you really need to should be sufficient.
  • MateoMMateoM Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    Reading well sure im doing it as a habit and for entertaining purposes too but i also think it could help me on writing my essay and other stuff,

And about math, the test im going to do them and when im done i will see if i need improvement on math, if it is i will get gruber if not im leaving it like that.

And about grammar well your grammar guide seems complete but the cambridge books have exersices and that stuff, also english isn't my foreign language so extra grammar wouldn't hurt me.

Also how much time you think i should put on each area besides the test?

And thanks for the advice
    Re #78 and #80, there's no contradiction. The student tells Columbia that the offer cannot be accepted due to financial reasons, and Columbia releases the student. That is how it works, no "petition" is necessary.

We should publicize this anomaly of having to "fight" to be released; which school was it? Applicants should know which schools are not following the rules. There's no reason to scare off students who need financial aid from applying ED to their dream schools that follow the rules.
    We should publicize this anomaly of having to "fight" to be released; which school was it?

What makes you think that it is anomalous? (That is a sincere question.) As for the school, I do not recall; it was a liberal arts college that I hadn't heard of.
    That is how it works, no "petition" is necessary.

You must have a misconception of the breadth of the semantic implications of the word petition then, because what you described fits well within my intended use of the word.
    And about grammar well your grammar guide seems complete but the cambridge books have exersices and that stuff, also english isn't my foreign language so extra grammar wouldn't hurt me.

Ah, I hadn't realized that English was not your first language. In that case, looking to other sources is a good idea.
    Also how much time you think i should put on each area besides the test?

This is a really difficult question to answer generally. Tangible accomplishment should drive your preparation, not satisfying minimum time limits.
  • manu101manu101 Registered User Posts: 592 Member
    This is an amazing guide and I applaud your great efforts! Good luck with college apps and all your future endeavors :)
    "What makes you think that it is anomalous?"

The missing first-hand reports of schools not following the known rule, the presence only of rumor and hearsay. Clearly no proof either way.

"You must have a misconception of the breadth of the semantic implications of the word petition then, because what you described fits well within my intended use of the word."

Petition means request, but in the Common App case only notification is required.

My only objection is the discouraging of students from applying ED to their dream schools when they need financial aid. Schools that support this really want such students to attend; the schools go into it knowing they'll take a financial "loss" on these students, compared to full list price payers.
This discussion has been closed.