right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Silverturtle's Guide to SAT and Admissions Success

Replies to: Silverturtle's Guide to SAT and Admissions Success

• lake42kslake42ks 1140 replies31 threads Member
    Good job, Silverturtle. This guide alone will send you to a top school. Good luck.
    · Reply · Share
  • bigjewbigjew 10 replies1 threads New Member
    Silverturtle, mind PMing the colleges you're applying to?
    · Reply · Share
  • LightSourceLightSource 694 replies51 threads- Member
    ^Same with me please; I'm interested in knowing. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • silverturtlesilverturtle 12415 replies81 threads Senior Member
    How long did this guide actually take to make?

As I indicated earlier in this thread, I am not sure of the number of hours, but I had worked on it on and off since I got out of school.
    · Reply · Share
  • vonlostvonlost 18792 replies14530 threads Super Moderator
    "Where we do not seem to agree is that a student should either accept or reject the offer of admission by the deadline imposed by the school. The ED should not offer students the right or time to negotiate packages and play games using the imprecise language of the Common Application as their fig leave."

When an ED financial offer is made, the school wants the student and the student wants the school. They can talk as long as they mutually agree to do so. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • leadlolleadlol 420 replies74 threads Member
    For the Bio part in the Subject Test chapter, you mentioned Princeton Review, yet you linked to the Barron's book on Amazon. Which book is it then?
    · Reply · Share
  • kbbm24kbbm24 468 replies72 threads Member
    ^^^ He says its princeton review, he probably just provided the incorrect link
    · Reply · Share
    ^ Yes, my apologies. I did mean to link to Princeton Review.
    · Reply · Share
  • peacelovesoulpeacelovesoul 212 replies11 threads Junior Member
    "joining a bunch of activities during your junior year is not a good indication that you are truly interested in those things; it, instead, comes across as a ploy to get into college. Admissions officers don't like that. "

I was unable to join clubs at school my freshman and sophomore year because of transportation reasons. I live about an hour away from my school and the county provided buses for students like myself to get home (which was my only form of transportation at the time because my mother was working). Junior year they cut a bunch of schools out of the program (including mine) and my mother became unemployed, which allowed me to stay after school and participate in the clubs.

10th grade I had done some volunteering but other than that I didn't do much of anything else because of time and my family situation.

The last thing I want is to have admissions officers think I joined clubs as a ploy, should I explain this on the EC short answer section of the common app?
    · Reply · Share
  • vonlostvonlost 18792 replies14530 threads Super Moderator
    ^ I think they're more interested in what you DID do, rather than hearing the reasons why you DIDN'T do things. Focus on the positives. :)
    · Reply · Share
    The last thing I want is to have admissions officers think I joined clubs as a ploy, should I explain this on the EC short answer section of the common app?

Yes, you or your guidance counselor should make note of that.
    · Reply · Share
  • IvysaurIvysaur 262 replies14 threads Junior Member
    Excellent guide.
    · Reply · Share
    I think they're more interested in what you DID do, rather than hearing the reasons why you DIDN'T do things. Focus on the positives.

Long-term involvement in extracurricular activities is highly valued by admissions officers. If logistical factors precluded the applicant's doing so, admissions officers want to know.
    · Reply · Share
    I should caution, though, that vossron is right in that you don't want to sound as though you are inappropriately skirting responsibility by blaming circumstances. However, in your case the need to indicate why there is a gap in your application outweighs the risk of coming across in that way, as long as it is does well.
    · Reply · Share
    yeah I get where vossron is coming from that's exactly why I asked, initially I wasn't planning on mentioning it because it sounds like I'm making excuses -but if I could've joined I would've. I just don't want it to seem like I joined those activities just to have something to put on my application
    · Reply · Share
    The best solution seems to be to have your guidance counselor note it.
    · Reply · Share
    Okay, I will. Thanks silverturtle. :)
    · Reply · Share
    I also thank CCers TurquoiseHexagon (who, by the way, has scored 2400 on the SAT three times), Jersey13, and crazybandit for reviewing the guide.
    Just out of curiosity, has crazybandit also scored a 2400 on the SAT? I know the others have.
    · Reply · Share
  • MissxSilverwingMissxSilverwing 399 replies19 threads Member
    silverturtle: I'm taking Advanced (aka honors) Chemistry next year, which, at my school, is a prerequisite for AP Chemistry. Should I be able to receive a 750+ if I prep outside of school? And to that end, what is the best prep book for the Chemistry SAT Subject test?

Another question (although this is very far off): I plan on taking the Math II post-junior year precalc. Could this count as my second Subject Test? Otherwise, I will simply take the Spanish Subject Test w/Listening after AP Spanish in junior year, but I don't want to if I don't have to. :P

Thanks so much for your SAT/testing guide! I learned so much that I did not already. Some of your practice astronomy questions were confuzzling, but most seemed much like those I've encountered on PSAT/SAT practice tests. I'll probably take the SAT in June or October, and will be using your tips to ensure my best score! :)
    · Reply · Share
    but most seemed much like those I've encountered on PSAT/SAT practice tests.
    That's because all of his practice problems, at least the ones I have done so far, were taken from an actual SAT.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity