Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.

Weird graphing calculator problem, not sure what to do exactly

sidwasnotheresidwasnothere Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
I'm fairly proficient at using the calculator, but while i was using it last the past couple of days for math 2 practice tests, the calculator would give me answers i couldn't use.

For example:

input: (sin (x))/(cos (x)) output: (sin (x))/(cos (x))

input: ln (5) output: ln (5)

Can someone help me configure the calculator for the math 2 subject test? Thanks in advance!
Post edited by sidwasnothere on

Replies to: Weird graphing calculator problem, not sure what to do exactly

• mathrommathrom Registered User Posts: 170 Junior Member
    What type of calculator do you have? If it's the TI-Nspire CAS, I can definitely help, but I'm not very proficient with other calculators.
  • rspencerspence Registered User Posts: 2,118 Senior Member
    If you have an N-Spire, there's an option that allows you to change between "Auto" and "Approximate." The "auto" gives you the exact form, i.e. if you type in "10/45" it'll just return "2/9" instead of "0.222..." I think you can also do that on a TI-84.
  • mathrommathrom Registered User Posts: 170 Junior Member
    Also, on the N-Spire, Ctrl+Enter works for approximation.
  • rspencerspence Registered User Posts: 2,118 Senior Member
    Or, just putting a decimal point at the end. For example, if "10/45" returns "2/9," then "10/45." should return "0.222..."
This discussion has been closed.