right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Do your HS classes always align with SATII topics?

Replies to: Do your HS classes always align with SATII topics?

• Legacy2277Legacy2277 47 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    I've had a contrasting experience with chem. I enjoyed my chemistry teacher and we only covered stuff you could find as AP content. I never studied once for the chem test assuming AP background would be sufficient. I got an 800 without a problem. Similar thing happened for biology with one exception being the sat biology test also had some basic anatomy of a human and plant questions on there I didn't learn from AP Bio but was able to reasonably guess and the curve gave me the score I wanted. Math 1 and 2 don't correspond to any exact math course but most of the problems can be solved without having practiced them in class before so not too much of an issue.

I had a different experience with world history where I did not score as well as I'd have wanted from AP World but I'm not sure if that was because of what we should have gone over in class (since I know missed quite a bit of the AP material) or a difference between the AP material and the subject II material.

As for what to study for sat II chemistry I'd expect Barron's book to be fine. Their AP chemistry one ignoring a few typos prepared me well. The important thing when you select a book is to make sure it has at least 2 practice tests and some problems with its chapters so you can review the areas you need by working the stuff in the corresponding chapter.
    · Reply · Share
  • jenceejencee 160 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 174 Junior Member
    Definitely not. And it really annoys me. :(
    · Reply · Share
  • screamingpumpkinscreamingpumpkin 111 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 112 Junior Member
    I hope my AP chem class does. Ideally, I would only have to take the SATII test once, be satisfied with my score, and then call it a day. I'm going to study some for the chem test, though.
    · Reply · Share
  • am9799am9799 911 replies27 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 938 Member
    From what I understand AP classes generally align with SAT II tests and most of the students take the SAT II immediately after their AP class. Honors classes usually are not in alignment unless the teacher knowing that a lot of the students will take the SAT II offers some supplementary classes. Of course there are exceptions. That makes me wonder though. What is the point of taking both the SAT II and AP test on the same subject? I assume the AP test shows fluency on the subject.
    · Reply · Share
  • MITer94MITer94 4728 replies19 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,747 Senior Member
    If all my HS classes aligned with SAT II topics, that would be awful.
    · Reply · Share
  • KPGlobetrotterKPGlobetrotter 9 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 9 New Member
    In My Opinion, the best way to try to ensure a very high SAT II score (at least in math and science) is to practice, practice, practice. If possible take the AP before the SAT II, if not, then get a book (Barron's, Princeton Review both work well). I took Math 2, Chemistry, and Biology and got an 800 on all of them. MAKE SURE you really know the material. Just my two cence
    · Reply · Share
  • tonystarkofwinterfelltonystarkofwinterfell 2302 replies55 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,357 Senior Member
    At my school, people generally take the SAT II in a course after they take the honors course (after freshman year Honors Bio, most people who had the two good teachers and a few with the bad teacher took the June SAT II); however, we all use test prep guides to review the course. Even those of us who had the bad teacher for Honors Bio (we were slower than the nonhonors classes) are taking the subject test this fall. I think most of the teachers at my school know that kids are going to take the SAT II after the course, however.
    · Reply · Share
  • xdxdaustinxdxdaustin 68 replies15 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 83 Junior Member
    edited August 2014
    I must be an oddity on here from what I'm reading, but I actually found that in contrast to the other popular tests (SAT I/ACT), the SAT II's aligned perfectly with my classes. To me, that's how it should be. I say this after getting a 770 on my US History after taking APUSH. I've only taken academic Biology (and two years ago to boot) but I still managed to squeak out a 740 on a SAT II Bio-E practice :)
    edited August 2014
    · Reply · Share
  • ScarlettebonyScarlettebony 20 replies4 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 24 New Member
    Never. My school barely covers AP topics and 2% of the population actually take the SATs.
    · Reply · Share
  • purplepianopurplepiano 71 replies20 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
    I felt adequately prepared for US History after taking APUSH, but I credit this all to my excellent teacher. He's been teaching for 20+ years and is a master at standardized test preparation; his students always get the highest AP exam scores of any AP class in my school. I'm definitely not a history buff, but I think I could have gotten a 700, at least.
    · Reply · Share
  • Kat2016Kat2016 157 replies10 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 167 Junior Member
    edited September 2015
    I took honors chemistry junior year and am taking AP this year, as a senior. I'm going to be taking the chem subject test in October and while doing practice tests, I definitely noticed lots of gaps... I do not feel prepared for this test

**Sorry, didn't realize this thread was old until I commented. Now I can't delete it...
    edited September 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • 18collegebound18collegebound 20 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 25 New Member
    edited December 2015
    My introductory chem and bio classes DEFINITELY did not cover the content necessary for success on their respective SAT Subject Tests. AP U.S. History, however, covered more than enough breadth and helped me score an 800. I think AP classes are your best option for full coverage of this information; otherwise, you may need to do quite a bit of studying on your own. However, no class at your school will be exactly aligned with the content demanded of the Subject Tests; it is always worthwhile to pick up a study guide to make sure you know what is expected.
    edited December 2015
    · Reply · Share
  • GMKoonGMKoon 543 replies21 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 564 Member
    There is no nationalized education system but the SATII is for the whole country. No it doesn't align and you always need some extra research.

Taking AP classes and respective subject classes will definitely help but there will always be gaps.
    · Reply · Share
  • annanaannana 432 replies33 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 465 Member
    Heads up to those in bio: I wasn't very well prepared for the SAT test because I assumed it was going to be similar to the AP(which I was studying for at the time), but the content is actually quite different
    · Reply · Share
  • MrAustereMrAustere 346 replies18 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 364 Member
    @annana Please elaborate on content allignement in AP/SAT bio.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity