Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is it bad if your teacher/guidance counselor/supervisor writes a recommendation saying you're shy?

1618dz1618dz Registered User Posts: 228 Junior Member
edited August 2016 in College Admissions
Will receiving a recommendation saying I'm shy completely ruin my chances of getting into any college? Don't colleges want outspoken and social students?

Replies to: Is it bad if your teacher/guidance counselor/supervisor writes a recommendation saying you're shy?

• fallenchemistfallenchemist Honorary Super Mod Posts: 25,129 Inactive
    @1618dz

No, I don't think so. They know that their students run the gamut from outrageously outgoing to quite introverted and studious, from charismatic leaders to faithful followers. They are smart enough to know it takes all kinds to make a well balanced and vibrant class. Even though it sounds like a contradiction, shy students do indeed add to the overall vibrancy of a diverse class.
  • yonceonhismouthyonceonhismouth Registered User Posts: 1,977 Senior Member
    I don't think it would necessary hurt your app- as @fallenchemist said, colleges need a diverse class. Every student can't be outspoken and social- how boring!!

I think shyness is perfectly normal as personality traits go. I would just be a tad nervous if it was described as just shyness, or if they were saying something along the lines of "not personable" or "actively wants to disengage"- ie if they were saying something negative.
This discussion has been closed.