right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Should I take the Spanish Subject test?

MerymarMerymar 1 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
My native language is Portuguese but I’ve been living in Spain for 2 years, the Spanish Subject Test would count for my application or not?
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Should I take the Spanish Subject test?

• mamaedefamiliamamaedefamilia 3430 replies23 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 18
    @Merymar Plenty of native and heritage speakers of Chinese take the Chinese language Subject Test; the Spanish test would count but you may want to take an additional subject test or two to show your versatility.
    edited August 18
    · Reply · Share
  • MerymarMerymar 1 replies1 threadsRegistered User New Member
    Sure! It would be as an additional to US and World History. Thank you!
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 77784 replies678 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 28
    Note that some universities that want subject tests want specific types of subject tests, so check if two history ones and a semi-heritage-speaker Spanish one would fulfill what they want.

For native or heritage speakers, it is best if the subject test in that language were an extra one beyond the ones that the university otherwise wants to see, since some universities count subject tests in one's native or heritage language less than others.
    edited August 28
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 807 replies10 threadsRegistered User Member
    what do you mean by ‘count’? What schools are you looking at? You’re already taking 2, so Georgetown would be the only school that would require a third. Many schools that want 2 have specific requirements, but usually Math or a science. I’ve never seen a requirement for Spanish/a language that it would help you meet.

While it’s true that many native Chinese speakers take the Chinese language subject test, it’s also true, based on my conversations, that they mean very little to AOs. One made the analogy of a typical US student turning in great TOEFL scores.
    · Reply · Share