right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Schools are not offering in-person tours because of COVID-19, but many offer virtual tours. Check out our directory of virtual campus tours we know about right now.
Many schools have delayed their deadlines for enrollment due to COVID-19. Check out our exclusive directory of extended deadlines we know about right now.
STUDENT GUEST OF THE WEEK: Ethan is a burgeoning tech enthusiast who got accepted into Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Duke, Brown. This week he's answering your questions on how to best craft your application and narrow down your college search/decision process. ASK HIM ANYTHING!

How does the SAT subject test for physics compare to AP Physics 1 exam?

catchmecryingcatchmecrying 4 replies7 threads New Member
Obviously the AP exam is much, much longer, but in terms of content, are they the same/similar? Does AP Physics 1 prepare you for the subject test? If not, what is the additional content tested on the subject test not covered in AP Physics?
5 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: How does the SAT subject test for physics compare to AP Physics 1 exam?

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus 81256 replies729 threads Senior Member
    SAT subject test in physics covers a wider range of topics at less depth. To approximately cover the same range of topics in greater depth, you need AP physics 1 and 2.

https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat-subject-tests/subjects/science/physics
    https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/courses/ap-physics-1/course
    https://apcentral.collegeboard.org/courses/ap-physics-2/course
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 2078 replies33 threads Senior Member
    Is it safe to assume Honors Physics plus AP Physics C would be sufficient prep?
    · Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 40797 replies7594 threads Super Moderator
    RichInPitt wrote: »
    Is it safe to assume Honors Physics plus AP Physics C would be sufficient prep?

Depending upon the quality of instruction, Honors Physics is sufficient prep.

Subject Tests are evaluating HS-level general knowledge. AP Physics C is well beyond basic HS physics, and only covers 2 physics topics. Even AP Physics 1 & 2 (which relatively few high schools offer) leaves a lot of topics uncovered.
    · Reply · Share
  • XtremeBlaze777XtremeBlaze777 156 replies16 threads Junior Member
    edited November 2019
    @RichInPitt @catchmecrying Highly doubt it.

Physics C mechanics is quite literally Physics 1 redone just with calculus. EM might prepare you a bit but I fear Physics C, in general, focuses so much more on mathematical equations rather than conceptually understanding (since you should have gained that from honors / AP 1 already), so it may even have a negative effect; there is barely any math on the subject test, it is neither algebra-based nor calculus-based but rather conceptual-based. For me, I just brought my subject test prep book to my AP 1 teacher who circled all the areas (about 30-40% if I remember correctly) that I would have to self-study. A background in chemistry might help with thermodynamics but unless your honors physics class goes into AP 2 topics, you are probably gonna have to self-study. Don't be too intimidated though because if you can just understand the bare basics of each of the topics (there are also tricks to memorize), you are going to be fine. I struggle with physics (ended AP 1 with a B, getting a B in C rn) and I did not have to put too much effort into studying (like maybe 3 hours per week including practice tests just the month before) because I just had to visualize in my mind what was going on rather than compute some integral, I ended up with a 750.
    edited November 2019
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 2078 replies33 threads Senior Member
    Interesting. My D will be taking fast-paced HS Physics at CTY next summer, then AP C at school. Sounds like we’ll need to dig into the material in the courses and exam a bit more some time next year. Thanks.
    · Reply · Share