right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

A new forum experience awaits you this November! We can't wait to share it with you soon. Want to see how it looks before the big move? Experience the new CC Forums now and let us know your thoughts!

How similar is AP Bio to SAT II Bio and AP Chemistry to SAT II Chem?

worryingabtcollegeworryingabtcollege 19 replies30 threads Junior Member
edited August 21 in Sciences
ALSO: WHEN HAVE THE TESTS CHANGED? (I bought prep books for these subjects copyright 2013--has there been changes to the tests since?)

Thanks for your help!!
edited August 21
5 replies
Post edited by skieurope on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: How similar is AP Bio to SAT II Bio and AP Chemistry to SAT II Chem?

• skieuropeskieurope 41997 replies8226 threads Super Moderator
    edited October 7
    Not similar at all. AP, as a college level class, covers fewer topics in greater depth than the Subject Test tests
    edited October 7
    Post edited by skieurope on
    · Reply · Share
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 3883 replies94 threads Senior Member
    The test prep books that hit bookstores in January 2020 were no longer much use by the May 2020 tests... because the tests went online and were no longer multiple choice. Since we don't know what the 2021 tests are going to look like yet, I would not plan to rely on those old books entirely.

You don't have to spend money on new books either, though. I wouldn't - at least until you know how the 2021 tests will be run. College Board put out free online prep seminars with practice questions last April and early May. That and doing well in the class was probably the closest-to-the-actual-test help available.
    · Reply · Share
  • caffeinebrothacaffeinebrotha 1 replies0 threads New Member
    Specifically, SAT II Chem includes introductory organic chem, radioactive decay, colors of solutions, flames, gases, and other miscellaneous topics.
    · Reply · Share
  • 3857gwo3857gwo 2 replies0 threads New Member
    Format is biggest difference. The SAT 2 Chemistry is only about an hour for 85 multiple choices questions whereas the AP is three hours and fifteen minutes for multiple choices and Free Response questions.
    · Reply · Share
  • havenoideahavenoidea 477 replies18 threads Member
    I don’t think the subject tests are similar at all to the APs. An example, one of our kids got a 5 on AP bio, didn’t study at all for the subject test and got somewhere in the 600s. Had to retake it after studying.
    · Reply · Share