Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Question About Professional Geologists

IsThisNameTakenIsThisNameTaken Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
edited November 2012 in Science Majors
I just read that in order to be a professional geologist, you need to pass two tests and have at least 5 years of working under a professional geologist.

This is a bit annoying to me because geology is my major of choice, I did not know that this needed to be done. I always assumed that getting a graduate degree in geology allowed you to work as a professional geologist.

What kind of work can a person with a graduate degree get in the field of geology without being a "licensed" geologist?

Do licensed geologists have better employment opportunities than someone who has a phd in geology or is someone acquiring a phd in geology required to get licensed?

I am not really sure I understand the concept of a "licensed" geologist as opposed to someone with a graduate degree in geology, can someone explain it?
Post edited by IsThisNameTaken on

Replies to: Question About Professional Geologists

  • bopambobopambo Registered User Posts: 1,229 Senior Member
    I can not answer your question and am sure someone will come along who can, I just wanted to suggest that you also post this on the graduate school forum. My son is a geology major and now that you've brought it up, I'd like to know the answer. I've never heard any reference to the requirements you mention. I've always thought that the advanced degree is the training and then you are hired by an agency to be a geologist. Could this be a requirement in some states for consulting?
  • bopambobopambo Registered User Posts: 1,229 Senior Member
    Just found this at http://education-portal.com/geologist.html:

    Education Requirements for Geologists
    Most geologist positions require a master's degree; however, entry-level positions are available for graduates with a bachelor's degree. Upper-level supervisory positions, research assignments and teaching positions at a university require a doctorate degree. Geology programs include the study of mineralogy, petrology, paleontology, stratigraphy and structural geology, as well as physics, chemistry, biology, mathematics and engineering. Geologists who offer their services directly to the public may need to be licensed in their state. Requirements vary but generally include a minimum level of education and experience, as well as the passing of an exam.
This discussion has been closed.