right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Mechanical Engineering or Chemical Engineering?

BayernMunichBayernMunich 4 replies6 threadsRegistered User New Member
I am currently starting my way into majoring into Mechanical Engineering, but I am more intrigued with chemistry than physics. I planned on doing Chemical Engineering, but there isn't a variety of jobs like Mechanical Engineering offers, they can squeeze more into different areas. I'm thinking of swapping MechE for ChemE because I feel like I would thrive more, but the only thing that has me worried is finding a job in that area since it isn't as broad as MechE.
1 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Mechanical Engineering or Chemical Engineering?

• momofsenior1momofsenior1 6962 replies49 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Chem es at my D's college take the same physics sequence as the mech es. Other than organic chemistry and mass balances, the engineer curriculums are very similar until junior year.
    FWIW, my chem e had an internship after freshman year and lined up her co-op. Chem es are finding jobs very quickly. There are many, many different applications for chemical engineers. The field is actually quite broad.
    If you are already in college, I'd suggest going to talk to your school's career center to get a broader picture.

· Reply · Share