right arrow
PARENTS4PARENTS is a new initiative aimed at highlighting the vast expertise of our parents community while helping other parents better navigate the college admissions process. aggies1989 is a UC alumnus and parent of two UC college kids. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: fintech3753 is a current student at the Wharton School. Majoring in finance, he is hoping to pursue a career at the intersection of finance and technology. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our August Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Joining a Computational Biology Lab

SirCumferenceSirCumference 3 replies3 threads New Member
I am a current undergraduate student, and I would like to take part in research. However, due to the pandemic, I don't believe that my school is allowing any students to do any in-person work in on-campus research labs. As such, I was looking to potentially search for a remote research position in a computational biology lab. Does anyone know what skills are required for joining a computational biology lab?
1 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Joining a Computational Biology Lab

• MWolfMWolf 2799 replies14 threads Senior Member
    The first step in figuring this out would be to look at a couple of computational biology labs, and check out their recent publications. In the publications, look through the "Methods and Material" (or "Methods") chapter, and that will tell you, more or less, what skills are required

One of the primary skills for an undergraduate would likely be coding, but programming would be even better. Data input would like be a highly sought skill as would any skill related to data analysis. You should likely have a basic knowledge of the particular field of biology in which the lab engages. That could be protein structure and function, genomics, epidemiology, etc.

That's just the beginning.
    · Reply · Share