right arrow
Informational Message Stay on top of the information you need to navigate the admissions process amid the COVID-19 pandemic. We've got articles, videos and forum discussions that provide answers to all of your test prep, admissions and college search questions.   Visit our COVID-19 resource page.

Introducing Kai!
Your College Confidential guide bot.

Kai can provide tips and support as you research and apply to colleges, and explore majors and careers.

Chat with Kai
here, 24/7!

or Skip Forever

Get all the info you need to know to complete the FAFSA during our LIVE webinar Thursday, Sept 24, at 7pm ET. Hear from financial aid experts on deadlines, what documents you will need, and how your info will be used to calculate aid. REGISTER NOW and share your questions.
PARENTS4PARENTS: AfroPuffMom is the mother of two boys, a college junior and a high school junior. She has extensive experience reviewing applications for high-achieving, first-generation students. ASK HER ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our September Checklist for HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.

Switching back to pre-med; mentally ill pre-med student

BankssBankss 2 replies4 threads New Member
edited September 13 in Science Majors
First off: damn, that list of forums was a bit overwhelming.

Upon entering college, I was a neuroscience major and pre-med. I took intro to chem and bio, which I eventually dropped because I was failing. I decided to become a philosophy major instead and enter my school's pre-law program. Now, I am considering switching back to pre-med. I'm not sure of what to do.

First, I need to clarify that I was having a rough first year. Unfortunately, I had a psychotic break. I was having minor hallucinations and became delusional. I was also rapid cycling throughout the entire school year. I have bipolar disorder type 1 with psychosis, but I wasn't diagnosed until after my freshman year, so I was unmedicated and not in treatment. On paper, I managed academically, but I actually completely floated into space. I didn't go to class for three months. Thankfully, my teachers pitied me and I did not fail any of my classes. I took a year off of school and I am now stable. After everything, however, I think I want to go back to pre-med. This would require me to retake intro to bio and chem.

Has anyone else made a 360 in pre-med? Is anyone else a pre-med student while also dealing with severe mental illness? Would doing this look absolutely horrible to med schools (I want to get into a top 30 med school)? Is med school even doable as a nut case? I feel like the answer is obvious -- "do whatever you want, it is your education" -- but I need validation and advice lol. Would med schools view me as unreliable? I mean, they can't discriminate agaisnt me for being mentall ill, but why would they choose me over someone else who has the same scores, grades, and overall credentials?

I apologize for the length of my post -- I am gregarious and an over-thinker.
edited September 13
2 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Switching back to pre-med; mentally ill pre-med student

• estrategiaestrategia 3 replies1 threads New Member
    i'm a current high school student who often goes back and forth from wanting to become a lawyer or a doctor. i'm currently interested in bioengineering/political science. i'd recommend finding mental health care, taking a semester off to sort things out, and rethinking your options. i do not recommend medical school, it will wreck your mental health even further and make you shackled with debt. if you are serious about medicine, then maybe becoming a PA or nurse will be wiser. i recommend picking some sort of stem major and a philosophy minor. good luck.
    · Reply · Share
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 3714 replies89 threads Senior Member
    OP, I am sorry to hear about what you have been going through.

Having said that, unfortunately I don't think your chances of getting into a T30 medical school are all that great. Look up the numbers, but I think the acceptance rate is 50% to begin with. On top of that, students getting in are A-students or very close to it. I am sure other posters here will have excellent suggestions as to what you CAN study, that may be able to involve you being part of that world, though.
    · Reply · Share