Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Biology/ Biomedical Science?

Jasm72Jasm72 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited June 2010 in Science Majors
I am a senior in high school, and my goal is to go to Baylor medical school after I graduate with my UG degree. So I have some questions for comparison of the two majors in the topic line-Biology and Biomedical Sciences (I want to attend Texas A&M FYI)

1. Which is harder/ easier to get a high GPA in? (or are they about the same)
2. Do med schools prefer one over the other (statistically or otherwise)?
3. Are there different opportunities in one over the other?
4. Do they have different points of focus?
5. Does one prepare you for med school more than the other?

Any other comments you can add would be great as well.

Thanks!
Post edited by Jasm72 on

Replies to: Biology/ Biomedical Science?

• yg7s7yg7s7 Registered User Posts: 876 Member
    correct me if I'm wrong..

1. I believe biology is easier
    2. No
    3. Yes
    4. Yes
    5. Probably Biomedical Science might help you better

Most important thing is basically your GPA (especially science GPA). MCAT score and research experience are probably next. And then extracurricular activities.
  • davidmigldavidmigl Registered User Posts: 46 Junior Member
    I'm in molecular biology at Texas A&M, so I hope I can offer some helpful advice.

1. Both are 120 hours. BIMS has 36hrs of electives, BIOL has 33. They're about the same (I think). Although BIOL people generally regard BIMS as those who couldn't handle a hard science major or whose goals are exclusively pre-med. I'm sure BIMS people have their opinions about BIOL majors too.

2. No. Both are rather generic pre-med majors.

3. I think so (but I don't know what you mean by "opportunities")

4. Yes. BIMS focuses heavily on animal and human health and disease and biotechnology and the like. BIOL is, well, the science of life. You'll learn a lot of stuff that isn't directly related to health because that isn't the goal of BIOL.

5. Not really, the differences will be negligible.

BIOL has a "human biology" track that might be of interest to you.

BTW I would really encourage you to look at the curriculum for each major (start here) and go read the course descriptions for all the classes you have to take. That's a good way to get a good feel for how each major is going to be.
  • rtaymourrtaymour Registered User Posts: 42 Junior Member
    Davidmigl's idea of looking at the major's requirements is a great idea. I did that myself. I'm a human bio major.
This discussion has been closed.