Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

BioE vs. BioChem vs. Molec. Bio (copy of thread in engr forum)

calctalccalctalc Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
edited November 2009 in Science Majors
Okay, so I'm a student at Lehigh University (sophomore), and I'm having a terribly tough time choosing my major. I've always enjoyed and held a slight edge in math and science, I guess because I like learning how things work and using logic to solve puzzles. On the flip side, I have always enjoyed other courses as well, given that a liberal arts curriculum is what you're forced to take throughout grade school. (Well, I hate english... but I don't mind Economics and Social Studies so much... but frankly I can't see what I'd do with a major in any of these... perhaps a minor in social psychology would be interesting, though)....

ANYWAYS... I believe I'm stuck deciding b/w the three majors in the thread title. I ruled out other ones, such as ChemE, pharm chem, etc... because frankly I haven't been enjoying chemistry itself too much. So I think these life science-y majors are where I'd like to focus. That said, I don't necessarily know what I'd like to do in the future... I definitely want to pursue more education, either grad school or medical school.

Based on this information... any thoughts/advice? Plus, if you need more info or have any questions please ask so I can get the best advice possible.

Thanks so much =]

[As the title shows, this thread is also in the other forum as well. Just posting here to maybe catch some more eyes]
Post edited by calctalc on

Replies to: BioE vs. BioChem vs. Molec. Bio (copy of thread in engr forum)

• Mr. BojanglesMr. Bojangles Registered User Posts: 824 Member
    Biochem is lots of chemistry...if you don't like it that much you can probably rule that one out too.
  • 007Sen10r007Sen10r Registered User Posts: 75 Junior Member
    BioEngineering uses a lot of science and math combined so if you like those then that would probably be the best field for you... like Mr.Bojangles said, Biochem is a lot of chemistry so since you don't like that... you might as well cross it off your list
  • calctalccalctalc Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    Thanks for the advice. And well, it's kinda tough, because I do like chem, in the respect that I like the simple formulas used, ICE tables, etc... I just absolutely hate stuff like VSEPR theory and that stuff. It's the theoretical part I dislike I guess... MO theory, bonding, etc.
  • Amino acidAmino acid Registered User Posts: 15 New Member
    Calctalc, how much do you like to go to medical school?
    I am asking that because, based on what I've heard, bioE undergraduates have job advantages, yet a good GPA is hard to get~while for a bio major student, it'd be a lot easier to get a good-looking GPA, which is an important requirement for med school.
    So if you are dedicated to med school, I think bio would be a good choice; but if ur not, then maybe u should choose BioE as a backup option.
  • calctalccalctalc Registered User Posts: 24 New Member
    Umm, I'm not sure. I mean I either wanna do pharmacuetical stuff I feel (hence why I'm on the Biopharmaceutical engineering track at my school)... BioE industry/research/etc... or med school. I don't know how happy I would be with just a B.S. in my life, and I don't know if being taken under the wing of a professor for a PhD is what I want either. I've always been an overachiever, so I just don't know if I'd be satisfied with a B.S. in BioE or whatever it may end up being. In the process I've been taking some ChemE courses (so far just material/energy balances) and I've honestly disliked those a lot. But in my BioE courses, I enjoy learning about the human body, such as how olfactory nerves and smell are based proteins activating/etc. So my interest in the body causes me to lean towards Med School, but then again I don't know exactly where Med School would shoot me out. I have a love for science and learning (I wikipedia EVERYTHING when I hear a term I don't know), that's all I know about myself really so far... thankfully I'm only a sophomore.
This discussion has been closed.