Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

6 figure job with ph.d in chemistry

starlingstarling Registered User Posts: 260 Junior Member
edited October 2009 in Science Majors
is there?

what can i do to earn a lot of money ($100,000+)?
Post edited by starling on

Replies to: 6 figure job with ph.d in chemistry

• ManOfFaithManOfFaith Registered User Posts: 363 Member
    Marry rich.
  • CalcozzoCalcozzo Registered User Posts: 165 Junior Member
    I'd assume some biotech/pharmaceutical companies would be willing to pay that much, but you'd need to have some sort of very specific focus and be lucky enough to have that focus be relevant to what they need from you at the time.
  • starlingstarling Registered User Posts: 260 Junior Member
    what about ph.d in economics? which in between phd. in chemitry and economics has a better chance to earn $100,000+ ?
  • angelsolis18angelsolis18 Registered User Posts: 120 Junior Member
    Picking a job on the basis of pay is probably the worst thing you could do. If you have a job that pays $40,000 that you love, you'll never work a day in your life.

If you have a job that pays $300,000 that you absolutely hate, you'll hate it.
  • Mr. BojanglesMr. Bojangles Registered User Posts: 824 Member
    I mean...you won't start out at 100k+ but if you work for a company for 10 years or so with a PhD in chemistry then you'll certainly earn that much. Tenured professors earn 100k+ and there's one professor of chemistry at my school who earns almost 300k.

Typical starting salaries I hear around the lab are in the 75k range
  • starbrightstarbright Registered User Posts: 4,660 Senior Member
    Bojangles makes a great point. But the thing is, if you are doing it for the money vs the love of the field of study, you'll be miserable and probably not particularly successful at it either. I have not yet met someone who became a PhD academic (I am one) who is successful at their job who does not just absolutely love what they were doing (and THAT was the sole reason they were doing it). It's the only thing that sustains you in the profession.
This discussion has been closed.