Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

school not administring ap exams

dlthf1026dlthf1026 Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
edited November 2011 in Sciences
So my school offers many APs, but it doesn't have ap environmental science course.

I'm planning to self-study that course and take the exam.

However, my counselor told me that I couldn't take it because the school doesn't offer ap exam on that course.

Is there any way that I could take it in another school or another way?

Answers would be really appreciated :)

Thank you
Post edited by dlthf1026 on

Replies to: school not administring ap exams

• cortana431cortana431 - Posts: 5,015 Senior Member
    Even though your school doesn't offer it, your school can still order the exam and have a teacher proctor it for you.
  • dlthf1026dlthf1026 Registered User Posts: 70 Junior Member
    Really? My counselor is sthe ap coordinator, and she didn't say anything about it.

But then again, my counselor is not really active, never responds to my emails and not that helpful.

Do you need to talk to your counselor on ordering the exam? or do you just do it by yourself?
  • hoopser77hoopser77 Registered User Posts: 645 Member
    I think they have to order the exam. Another option is taking the test at another location.
    My concern is that don't you take ap exams during your school time?
    Do you just go to another school and take it?
    I am so confused.

I really need to take this ap; I already bought the book, started studying, and highly interested in environmental issues.

If someone has ever taken ap exam in another school, PLEASE share your experience!!
    bump10char
  • Nin10dude317Nin10dude317 Registered User Posts: 339 Member
    Wht my SD does is send you to a school or place that has it. Kids from private schools come to my public HS to take APs. Also, kids from schools that didnt have APES tested at mine.

Last year, kids taking French and Japanese (like 4 each) went to the district HQ for those tests one day in May.

Look at the AP site and see if theres a number to refer to. Its your counselor who calls them, but I guess shes kinda bzzrt.
  • mankiwmankiw Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    I strongly recommend not taking them. AP tests are pricey and many competitive schools don't give credit for getting a 5 on APES. And if the school is not competitive, you won't need many APs. So return your book and self study other science!
  • Nin10dude317Nin10dude317 Registered User Posts: 339 Member
    ^I have to differ. APs are the cheapest college credit you can get, and most schools (esp public and science/math related) do offer credit for APES. In fact, its an undergrad requirement at public schools in my state.
  • oldblueeyesoldblueeyes Registered User Posts: 36 Junior Member
    While mankiw isn't entirely right in saying that few competitive colleges will take APES, it's true that less will. It really depends on what school you're going to/which ones you're looking at if you're a junior. Overall, your time would probably be better served in Chem or Physics, and these will also look a lot better to colleges. If you're interested in Enviro, why not take it in college in a real class?
This discussion has been closed.