Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

***AP Biology 2015 Thread***

Replies to: ***AP Biology 2015 Thread***

• letmeseetheworldletmeseetheworld Registered User Posts: 1,284 Senior Member
    I signed up for this course and hope to take the SAT subject test in the spring. The summer assignment is basically guided notes and some other reading. The chapter is pretty long and I think we will have that much homework during the school year so I'm pretty nervous. Other than that, I miss biology and I'm excited to learn more about it.
  • CCstudent1234CCstudent1234 Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    I took AP Bio this year. AP Biology is a great course because it is very straightforward and you do learn a lot (this is not at all to say that it is easy, because it is not).
    The actual AP Exam was kind of a joke. My school did the late testing day, and with the exception of the first short answer question (The one that was 1/8 of the entire test lol) everything was a joke.
    Tips-
    - I hated plants so much. You should know them well. Especially photosynthesis, phototropism, etc. (Photosynthesis was the answer to the first short answer that I didn't know the answer to. It was a really weird question though.
    - If you are bad at biochemistry, that is a major problem. Fix it ASAP.
    - Ecology is part of the curriculum, but its a small part. In my school we didnt even cover it but it was assigned independently as an optional assignment (I didn't do it lol I studied it when I studied for the SAT II). However, you should know ecology well, but you won't have to know it as thoroughly as, for example, evolution.
    - You better know evolution and you better know it well.
    - PAY ATTENTION TO THE LABS
    - This class is much less memorization than it used to be, but my G-d does it help to memorize things. This is not to say that you don't have to; it is biology, so you do need to be able to recall things at the drop of a hat, but you don't need to know all 12 of the reactions involved in glycolysis like you once did (Thank G-d).
    - Study. This cannot be stressed enough. As straightforward as this class is, you need to take it seriously.
    - If you have any choice in your textbook at all, I highly recommend Campbell and Reece's Biology 7th Edition and Campbell's Biology in Focus. They are extremely thorough and literally the only textbooks I have ever had with which I have been satisfied.
    - The SAT II is much more detailed. The AP Bio exam tests how well you can science, but the SAT II is more like knowing which phyla of animals have four chambered hearts, and which ones have open circulatory systems.

• NewYorkHustleNewYorkHustle Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    edited July 2014
    I took the AP Bio test and received a 5.

This is what I did to prepare for the test

Read Chapters 4-25 from the Campbell Book (First Semester)

Read Chapters 40-55 from Campbell Book (January - April)

Read AP Biology Book and paid very good detail to plants (4-25 and 40-55 do not include plants, and if you read the plant section in the Campbell's book, you will know WAY WAY WAY too much information about plants... maybe 1 question was about plants)

• tagi1998tagi1998 Registered User Posts: 102 Junior Member
    Hi, I'm a rising sophomore and I'll be taking AP Biology this coming year. I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to buy the Barron's/Cliffnotes' AP Biology book early so that I can review over the book while going through the year corresponding to whatever chapter we'll be learning. I was wondering if I should do this so I can be more prepared for the class tests and the AP exam as well so that I don't have to study or review as much when the AP bio exam comes. I plan on getting a near 100% grade in the class and also a 5 on the exam. So is it necessary? or just a waste of time?
  • nishausnishaus Registered User Posts: 155 Junior Member
    Nope! I am a sophomore who just took 2014 exam and got a 5 w/o studying at all. I bought both Barron's and Cliffnotes and only opened Barron's the day before the test. (I had a crappy math grade and AP
    Psych to worry about). And found that nothing in that book really helped me. The only advice I give is DO ALL THE FRQ ONLINE. Seriously, I gave up the day before after 2 hours of Barron's and did all of the old ones and found patterns on what they looked for. The test was really easy then. The FRQ was honestly the easier section after I figured out what collegeboard actually grades. Maybe read Barron's for reference cuz u need background knowledge for MC but don't stress about doing all the practice questions and stuff. Good luck!
  • nishausnishaus Registered User Posts: 155 Junior Member
    Don't stress time over Barron's. Do all the FRQ online and u will do great :)
  • TajmahalTajmahal Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    What prep book do you guys recommend? Cliffnotes or Barron's? I looked at the reviews and everyone said that both were good. I'm aiming on getting a 5 on the exam. If you read Campbell and the prep book, would that be enough?
  • silmarilsilmaril Registered User Posts: 337 Member
    I'm taking bio this year, is there anything that you guys would recommend doing over the summer to get a head start and lessen some of the workload?
  • Zeppelin7Zeppelin7 Registered User Posts: 408 Member
    @silmaril‌ Not really, Bio was a pretty decent class, when about workload. Maybe look at the first few chapters of Campbell's if you haven't taken Chem yet. Otherwise I think you'd be fine.

If you really wanted to, I guess you could get a head start on parts of a cell/cell membrane stuff because that'll pop up alot like in PS/CR, Protein synthesis, and stuff
  • gemar14gemar14 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Hi guys! I'm a rising senior who will be taking the AP Bio exam in May 2015. @Zeppelin7, you seem pretty knowledgeable about the new and revised exam. Which topics do you think I should review the most? (Keep in mind that I have already taken the new AP Chem test and gotten a 5 on it and that I am starting to read the AP Bio book in the summer)
  • dylant053dylant053 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    edited July 2014
    Kapplan guide is absolutely perfect imo, and the Campbell is WAYYYY too dense for the AP exam
  • ZealousStudentZealousStudent Registered User Posts: 43 Junior Member
    I'll be taking AP Bio as a junior this year. Does anyone recommend Cliffs? I've seen a lot of good reviews about it but I've also heard that the exam recently changed so Cliffs may not be as effective as it was before.
  • tagi1998tagi1998 Registered User Posts: 102 Junior Member
    @turnips8‌ getting a Barron's/cliffnotes/cc book in the beginning of the year is useless right? All you need to do well in the class itself is the Campbell book?
  • turnips8turnips8 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    @tagi1998‌ for the class itself, Campbell will do. The text, however, be really intense. CC breaks down the material into teen language, so it's a good accompaniment to Campbell. Something I wish I would've done was buy CC earlier and annotate it so I'd have all my notes in there when it was time to study for ap exam. But since I bought it too late, I couldn't. Buying it early could help. If you really want a comprehensive understanding of the material, buy CC. if you don't like it, go to Cliffs. Then to Barron's. I like the books' content/formatting from greatest to least in that order. Hope this helped.
This discussion has been closed.