Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
We want your feedback! Complete our survey and enter to win one of four $25 gift cards.

***AP Physics C Mechanics 2014-2015 Thread***

Replies to: ***AP Physics C Mechanics 2014-2015 Thread***

• NewdleNewdle Registered User Posts: 832 Member
    @Woandering‌ This was posted on the 2012 syllabus. I think they just changed it.

Calculators are not permitted on the multiple-choice sections of the Physics B and Physics C exams . The purpose of the multiple-choice sections is to assess the breadth of students’ knowledge and understanding of the basic concepts
    of physics . The multiple-choice questions emphasize conceptual understanding and qualitative applications . However, many physical definitions and principles are quantita- tive by nature and can therefore be expressed as equations . The knowledge of these basic definitions and principles, expressed as equations, is a part of the content of physics that should be learned by physics students and will continue to be assessed in the multiple-choice sections . However, any numeric calculations using these equations required in the multiple-choice sections will be kept simple . Also, in some questions,

• WoanderingWoandering Registered User Posts: 2,294 Senior Member
    edited January 2015
    Are we allowed calculators in the MC this year? @Newdle‌
    @Woandering‌ Yes, we are. However, that worries me because I can do the old problems pretty easily, since I'm pretty good at math. At the same time, though, that means the curve might be harsher.

Here's what effective "as of fall 2014":

Students will be allowed to use a calculator on the entire AP Physics C: Mechanics and Physics C: Electricity and Magnetism exams — including both the multiple-choice and free-response sections . Scientific or graphing calculators (including the approved graphing calculators listed at www .collegeboard .org/ap/calculators) may be used,
    @Newdle‌

Well it's out of our control, and we'll do our best anyway. Better not to worry about it.
    @Woandering‌ Ohhhhh, but I'm self-studying :(...
  • sidcool16sidcool16 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Hey, I have Fundamental of Physics 9ed. Halliday/Resnick/Walker. Oh, and @jason861101‌ somehow i have the Princeton Review for AP Physics C:Mechanics (my school doesn't have E&M) but theres some flaws on the "Cracking the AP Physics C Exam 2015 Edition," like others said calculators are allowed this year on both free-response AND multiple choice and so is the formula sheet. I reviewed the PR that they said calculators are NOT allowed on MC, but formula sheets on BOTH. That's the problem with the current PR physics c book. Typos, and outdated. Plus, the study guide only gives simple concepts that probably won't help me get a 4 or 5 on AP. Oh, and this junior year is the first time I am taking AP classes. Does anyone know of a new Barron's prep book for AP Physics C:mechanics? Has it come out yet in 2015. I know the Calculus BC just came out the beginning of February, so anytime soon for Physics? If anyone has the update for Barron's Prep book for Physics C, I would appreciate it. Ty!
  • information101information101 Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    @sidcool16‌ I agree with you. So far for now the Princeton Review book is the only one out now (and its near the end of March) and so far its the one that I am going to have to study from. Though I would have to admit I am kind of worried about the practice multiple choice tests being easier (since they are to be taken without a calculator) than the new calculator version.
  • KyuutoryuuKyuutoryuu Registered User Posts: 272 Junior Member
    I predict that the multiple choice will not change at all. I've done 2 different released multiple choice tests, non-calculator, and I can say with confidence that having had the ability to use a calculator at any time during the test would not have helped me score higher at all.

It's not like Calculus, where integrating xln(x) is quite a task non-calc but a push of a few buttons on calcuator.
  • bantzkingbantzking Registered User Posts: 42 Junior Member
    Any good prep resources?
  • aypaytvaypaytv Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    I feel relatively confident, but not so much with rotational motion. Any practice?
  • stoopidfoosestoopidfoose Registered User Posts: 77 Junior Member
    @bantzking You could practice the released MC from previous exams (there's about 7 of them)

@aypaytv Do past free response from previous tests, they go back to 1974 (all online with solutions)
  • kkpanu9kkpanu9 Registered User Posts: 152 Junior Member
    I just took a practice test a week ago, and I had a lot of trouble with time management. They only give 45 minutes for the 35 questions, and I ran out of time when I was barely half way through. Any tips on time management? Also, this doesn't make any sense. I paced myself very well today on the ap physics 1 exam, and finished a couple minutes before time was called.
  • aypaytvaypaytv Registered User Posts: 20 New Member
    Any good tips on timing? I always seem to have 5 questions left
    Can anybody pm me some released MC questions? Like the more recent ones? Thanks!
    @kkpanu9 @aypaytv I suppose, if you don't know the exact steps to get an answer on first glance, skip it and come back later. I haven't had too much problem with timing (more would be good, but I finish alright). I've done slightly more time MC quizzes all year for class tho, so I've had some practice. Main thing is the MC is testing concepts more than calculations. All calculations are pretty basic, so if you go too deep, then you know you're on the wrong track.

@Newdle Can you link me to where it says this year will allow calculators on MC? I don't think my teacher knows.
This discussion has been closed.