Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Chances of getting in to Scripps?

OrigamiQueen13OrigamiQueen13 Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
edited February 2011 in Scripps College
I posted this recently on the Wellesley board, but since then Scripps has become more of a reality for me. I wanted to see what my chances are if I apply ED. Thanks!

I am pretty much an average Caucasian female.

GPA:
UW - 4.00
W - 4.29

Class rank:
1 of 469 (I think the number is 469... it's somewhere in the 400s )

SAT I:
CR 720
Math 740
Writing 740
Total: 2200
(This was my first time, and I'm very pleased with the scores! My counselor said I have the highest of anyone in her alphabet group, which is D-Ht)

SAT II:
Literature 630
Mathematics Level 2 660
U.S. History 680
(I know these aren't as great, but I don't really want to take them again. I will if need be.)

APs:
US History - 4
English Lang & Comp - 5
Calculus AB - 4
This year I'm taking:
US Gov't
English Lit & Comp
Biology

In addition, I've taken 2 college classes at the state university down the street from my high school, mostly just for personal interest:
Intro to Theatre: A-
German 1: A
And this semester I'm taking:
Intro to Women's Studies
History of Ancient Philosophy

My extracurricular activities are where I think I might be lacking, but the main things I've been doing are with the National Marfan Foundation. Marfan Syndrome is a genetic disorder that I have, and since sophomore year I have been pretty active:
My twin sister and I starred in a documentary called "In My Hands"
I have attended 3 national conferences so far
I helped design memorial boxes for 2 teens taken my Marfan Syndrome
I do a lot of support work through the website
I compiled a list of "Marfan-Friendly" clothing stores for teens (we are very tall and thin, so clothes are hard to come by)
I presented to my school's Anatomy classes about the disorder
I am in a drug trial study to try and find a cure

Other ECs:
I did a lot of theater work with a company in town my freshman/sophomore years, including a lead role
Lifetime member of California Scholarship Federation with much community service over the years
I went to the state spelling bee in Freshman Year
Editor for school literary magazine
Involved in Rotary Interact club sophomore/senior years
The only sport I've done (because of a heart condition from Marfan) is Winterguard, which is like a competitive flag/dance team

Thank you so much! God bless.
Post edited by OrigamiQueen13 on

Replies to: Chances of getting in to Scripps?

• Eternal IcicleEternal Icicle Registered User Posts: 513 Member
    I think you definitely have a chance. I don't know how much different the ED ball game is stats-wise, but as far as general admission I think you have a lot going for you. Good luck on your application! Have you been to visit?
  • BirdhowBirdhow Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    My daughter is a freshman at Scripps this year (class of 2013) and is having a wonderful experience. Great balance of fine academics, lovely environment, welcoming students, efficient administration, etc., and has found a real home among the Inter Varsity group (if that is of interest).

Her grades and SAT I scores were almost exactly the same as yours (i.e., same GPA and 10 points higher on her combined SAT I scores). She applied regular decision; my experience is that, at most colleges (and I don't think Scripps is an exception) it is slightly easier to get it if one applies ED, though it all depends on the competition for that year.

I would suggest you visit the campus (if possible), and schedule an interview with an admission officer/alumna. Your ability to articulate why you want to attend Scripps -- that is, what is unique about Scripps that attracts you -- would be a great advantage. (It is a unique place with a rich history, but -- like all colleges -- it is not for everyone.)

Hope this is helpful. Blessings.
  • nik2011nik2011 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Hey Guys,

So, I have applied for academic scholarship for Scripps and I was just wondering if those who have gotten into Scripps could post their stats.

Thanks!
  • kappy77kappy77 Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
    Well... my school does not have any AP'S or honors classes, so like all classes are waited as honors. I had a 3.8 GPA, 27 ACT, and had lots of extracurriculars such as being field hockey and doing lots of dancing.
    *weighted I meant
    3.8/4.0 gpa
    I meant to say field hockey captain....
  • jubilancejubilance Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    I got in with a 3.75 GPA and an ACT score of 25. I did not take the SAT but my extracurriculars include dancing tap, modern, and ballet, taking voice lessons and playing the saxophone and piano. I also am an acolyte at church. Hope that helps!
  • nik2011nik2011 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
    Thanks Guys!

I got into Scripps through applying EDII and am really excited!!!
  • stardropsstardrops Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    Me too!!! I can't wait for SADIOS and SEPTEMBER. AAAAH.
This discussion has been closed.