Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What do you recommend?

gracieloosgracieloos Registered User Posts: 273 Junior Member
edited August 2010 in Scripps College
Hi all,

So if you follow this forum I'm sure you've read my ramblings concerning the FA. Well, we just got our package for the 2010-11 year and it wasn't pretty. The office determined my EFC to be $5-10k more (I don't want to give so many details). I'm assuming this is because my older brother is graduating in the coming week and won't be in college anymore.

I've already talked with my parents about this, and at this point it is most likely I'm transferring. We all want me to stay there and just continue my education and get the degree, but the school asking for that much more is just simply impossible.

I post because as a sort of "last hope" I wonder if any of you, parents specifically, have suggestions on if there is really any way to discuss the matter with the FA office. I'm not expecting much, but I'm asking just in case. Even though my brother will be out of school, I really don't know how to convey to the office that just because he's out doesn't mean we have a few extra thousand dollars in our accounts. My parents for the past 2 years since I've been in school haven't actually been paying for most of my brother's education- he's had a high ranking position with one of the organizations at his university that pays well enough (he has a salary) for him to be able to pay the majority of his expenses. Something like that is not offered at the 5Cs and seeing as how he goes to a state institution, I still wouldn't be able to pay the majority of the expenses even with that kind of position. Either way, my parents in the 08-09 year did not pay for any of my brother's expenses, and only paid a small amount in the 09-10 year.

I've talked with my parents about where their salaries go, and again I'm still a bit shocked as to where the higher EFC is coming from. We expected the EFC to rise but not that much. My parents salaries and assets have not changed in the past few years, and if they have they've actually become somewhat less. I've looked through my dad's records of expenses of the last four years (thank goodness for organized parents!), and none of it has really gone toward any luxury. Taxes, insurance, bills, groceries, my tuition.

So. Suggestions? If I beg them that I need to stay, they could take out a loan or even sell our house if they wanted to (something I am DEFINITELY not letting them do). But they don't have any savings left to pay off interest, and I already have a fair amount of debt from loans given to me the past 2 years. Any slip that happens, like a medical accident or a lay-off, and we would be toast. Especially if they were still trying to pay for the Scripps tuition. My parents don't speak English all too well, and thus don't enjoy speaking with the office, which is understandable. Every time I've talked to them it hasn't gone well though, so I'm tentative to call them.

I'm not trying to complain here, and I know that there a lot of students out there who have it off worse than me. I live a good life being a middle-class citizen, and I'm grateful for everything I have and for everything my parents have done for me. So I ask for suggestions, because I have greatly appreciated the past 2 years the institution has given me academically and socially. It's also a little disheartening when you read your FA package and see the shock of the number after 2 years of being involved in the campus and working with admission, talking with and recruiting prospective students, etc. If you sense a hint of bitterness, it's probably slightly there. :)

Thanks for any feedback, and best wishes to the incoming students!
Post edited by gracieloos on

Replies to: What do you recommend?

• steinygrrlsteinygrrl Registered User Posts: 72 Junior Member
    my advice would be to call the director of financial aid to appeal it...you can explain there is a language issue and translate for your parents. they could take a parent-PLUS loan for low interest, because i don't know where else would give better FA because scripps does meet 100% of demonstrated need. but call FA and see if you can get more money...just explain the situation. what year are you? you could also do tuition pay which lets u pay it over 10 months...that way you could combine it with parent plus and then it would be like $250 a month...no interest or fees on tuition pay. just call financial aid. hope it works out!
  • Eternal IcicleEternal Icicle Registered User Posts: 513 Member
    Hey love,

I'm really upset to hear this and hope things can be worked out so that I don't miss you terribly for the next 2 years.

If we had a Dean of Students, I would tell you to go there. Apparently the official job title involves some sort of advocating for students, and their office is concerned with Scripps' retention rate, so it may be an issue they're interested in. It's still Deb Wood until July 1st, I think? Though, people don't have a whole lot of confidence in that office...

If you don't want to go straight to dealing with financial aid, perhaps approach Pat for some advice? She knows you, and works closely with the financial aid office, so perhaps she may have some tips, or even influence?

Lastly, I would recommend emailing, rather than calling, financial aid. An email gives you as much time as necessary to lay out your entire situation, including your impending transfer and nominal details. Phone calls can get messy, and I know Levy often comes off as dismissive and terse, an experience I know you've already had.

If you have an adviser or professor who knows you pretty well, and who you would feel comfortable approaching, perhaps ask them to also email the FinAid office about your strength and potential as a student, and the loss it would be to the institution if you transferred, to enforce that you are not just # 2016xxxx .

Best of luck hun. A

P.S. I would totes be willing to write the financial aid office about how fantastic and wonderful you are.
  • gracieloosgracieloos Registered User Posts: 273 Junior Member
    As an update, I'm not attending this coming semester. I've spoken with the FA office after they heard I was taking a LOA for financial reasons, and the best they could say was more loans, which isn't an option in my family. I don't know how anyone else manages to speak with the people in that office and receive more aid, because the conversation wasn't terrible but some of the things she said and the way she said it were a bit backwards and rather pointedly accusatory. Ay, but that is life. Good luck to all the incoming students and I hope this doesn't happen to you!
This discussion has been closed.