Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

The Citadel?

14567810»

Replies to: The Citadel?

• basdabbasdab Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    My son is currently at a top Military Academy (high school). After one year, he has a significant leadership role and is really flourishing - excellent grades, leadership skills, respect from mentors, peers and 'new boys'. etc.

Initially, he wasn't interested in attending a military college but now that he's been there a year, he's warming up to it - especially since he also plays the bagpipes. There are not many schools with pipe bands to choose from therefore The Citadel is on his radar.

I'm curious....
    How difficult/easy will his transition be to a military college having attended a military high school? (Interestingly enough, his current school resembles a "mini" Citadel.)

How "prestigious" is Citadel's pipe band? (overall? versus other schools?)

How much time will he be able to dedicate to piping?

Finally, I just noticed a comment about "life being hell" at Citadel if you're in the Regiment Band... Why? And does that include the Pipe & Drum band?
  • ChizzuckChizzuck Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I graduated from The Citadel in 2003. I'll echo the statement that it's a tough place to be at but a great place to be from. Knob (freshmen) year was tough, very tough. You had to balance the rigors of a military lifestyle that was far different that 99% of your fellow knobs has ever experienced. A friend of mine who endured knob year at The Citadel and then transferred to WP to go through another 4th year system indicated The Citadel's class system was tougher from a lifestyle standpoint. However, academics at WP were a level above The Citadel's (he studied poly sci at The Citadel and pre-med at WP). I think most assume that the academic challenges at WP are greater. Knob year is not for the faint of heart. One company’s (comparable to fraternities at non-military schools) knob class started with 43 and ended with 15 on Recognition Day (last day as a knob where you are "recognized" by upperclassmen). In terms of stress, the next 3 years are a cakewalk.

Obviously ROTC plays a huge part of being a cadet. All cadets are required to enroll in ROTC courses regardless if they plan on having a military career after graduation. Those cadets not on ROTC scholarship, contract (or actively seeking one) don't participate in ROTC activities outside the classroom. With that said, I think The Citadel still has nearly 40 percent of its senior class accepting commissions into the 4 branches. The last I heard it was the largest commissioning source for all branches outside of the service academies. This may have changed.

Being a graduate has definitely helped me get my foot in the door for both graduate school and employment opportunities. People are intrigued by the lifestyle and what The Citadel represents so it makes for a great conversation and selling point during interviews (if you can make it through The Citadel you have the tools to take on tough challenges, job assignments, etc.).

Probably the one aspect I appreciate the most from my Citadel experience are the friends I made going through that first year of "fun". I still keep in contact with all my classmates and considering them my most loyal friends.

Of course there are negatives to a rigorous military college. You're confined to campus the majority of the week. You have curfew on the weekends. You get penalized for being late to class, missing class, not keeping your room spotless etc. You've got to be in some sort of uniform at all times although seniors get to wear a school sanctioned coat and tie.
  • lola67lola67 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Hello all - I am new to cc with and have a quick question. My son a rising senior is very interested in attending a military college. Well, his actual plan was to enlist right away after high school but we have managed to convince him that he can serve after the four years.... here is the question: I am concerned about the fact that we are muslim and how that may play into his experience at one of these schools. He was born and raised here and he is as American as apple pie. I know these schools are very tough for "all" students, but i can't help worrying that his name/religion may win him extra attention of the wrong kind. I know i am sounding like an overprotective mother. I also know that nothing I learn here will deter him from attending or enlisting. His first choice is the Citadel...any one out there a student of color that attended this or VMI, Norwich? your comments would be greatly appreciated you can also e-mail me if you prefer.
  • PackMomPackMom Registered User Posts: 7,667 Senior Member
    lola67, I don't have any answers to your question but did want to point out that if your son is interested in going Army, he might also consider North Georgia College and State University. It's a four year college with a corps of cadets that many don't know about.
    North Georgia's battalion is always rated very highly.
  • lola67lola67 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Thank you for your reply PackMom, really appreciate it. He is actually interested in the Navy/Marine option.
  • Citadel11momCitadel11mom Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    I'm late to reply to your questions but here goes. The Citadel Pipe and Regimental Band performed at the Tattoo in Scotland this past summer. They are very good. See this link: Tattoo Home (new - Summer 2010)

The first year in the 4th Class system is very tough. The upperclass cadets do not call you by your first name, you have to do extra duties and in general you have no status the first year. See this link for a blog about The CItadel:
    [url=http://offthebase.****/2011/01/30/learning-leadership-and-ethics-at-the-citadel/]Learning Leadership and Ethics at The Citadel Off The Base[/url]
    lola67 - My son is a senior at The Citadel. I know several cadets of color who are Muslim, some are from the Middle East. Any cadet who does what they are supposed to do and pulls their weight will gain the respect of the upperclass cadets. I posted this link already but reading the entries may give you an insight into the process I went through when my son decided to go to a military college. Read the links at the bottom of this entry too.
    [url=http://offthebase.****/2011/01/30/learning-leadership-and-ethics-at-the-citadel/]Learning Leadership and Ethics at The Citadel Off The Base[/url]
  • MAJsapperMAJsapper Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    I graduated from West Point, but when I attended the Engineer Officer Basic Course one of my classmates who became a good friend, was a Citadel grad. He was squared away. Fine institution, they beat us in football my plebe year...:( oh well can't win em all!!!
  • footballstar1825footballstar1825 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Can you get a hold of me with details of your knob year? really important for a paper i am writing. A lot about your hell night and some incidents that happened over the year
    This blog has up to date information on The Citadel and advice for pre knobs and their parents. be sure to click on the links to get to the information on the school web site
    [url=http://doriegriggs.****/citadel-parent-info/]Citadel Parent Info Dorie Griggs[/url]
  • CadenCaden Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    Does a student taking meds for ADD disqualify him from attending The Citadel?
    I have looked on the website and cannot find the answer.
    No, it will not disqualify you for The Citadel. They may, however, disqualify you from joining the military.
    They have a good support system for people that have various learning disabilities.
  • jcbs2017jcbs2017 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Citadel 11- I'm jealous that yours is a senior! Mine is getting ready to go down this Thu-Fri for his pre-knob visit. Any words of wisdom? ( for him or his dad and I )
  • CE527MCE527M Registered User Posts: 4,989 Senior Member
    jcbs2017, most of everyone on here is over at serviceacademyforums.com, they have a great forum area for SMC parents too, and you`ll find a lot of good info over there.
14567810»
This discussion has been closed.